Ordering and Delivery Process Has Greatest Impact on Customer Satisfaction with Windows and Patio Doors Manufacturers
WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 14 June 2016 — Window World ranks highest in customer satisfaction with windows and patio doors manufacturers for the third time since 2013, according to the J.D. Power 2016 Windows and Patio Doors Satisfaction Study,SM released today.
Now in its 10th year, the study measures satisfaction among customers who purchased windows and/or patio doors within the past 12 months, based on performance in five factors (in alphabetical order): appearance and design features; operational performance and durability; ordering and delivery; price paid for products and services received; and warranty. Satisfaction is measured on a 1,000-point scale.
According to the Home Improvement Research Institute, consumer spend for windows, skylights or patio doors is expected to increase 6.5% in 2016 to $3.73 billion.
Ordering and Delivery Is Most Important to Customers: The most important factor driving overall customer satisfaction is the ordering and delivery of their windows or patio doors. Among customers whose windows and/or patio doors were delivered the way they were ordered, satisfaction is significantly higher than among those whose delivery was not received as ordered (826 vs. 713, respectively).
Timeliness of Delivery Impacts Satisfaction: Satisfaction is significantly higher among customers whose windows and/or patio doors were delivered on the date promised than among those whose delivery did not arrive on the promised date (829 vs. 729, respectively). Additionally, satisfaction is significantly higher among customers who received all windows and/or patio doors ordered than among those who did not receive all windows and/or patio doors ordered (820 vs. 720, respectively).
Customers Want Efficient, Clean and Damage-Free Installation: Satisfaction is significantly higher among customers whose windows and patio doors were installed in a timely manner than among those whose were not (818 vs. 679, respectively). Satisfaction is also higher among customers whose windows and patio doors were not damaged during installation than among those whose were damaged (809 vs. 779, respectively). Among customers whose installer left the area clean, satisfaction is notably higher than among those with no cleanup (815 vs. 728, respectively).
“Purchasing windows or patio doors can be a very expensive, highly emotional and disruptive process for customers,” said Greg Truex, senior director of the at-home practice at J.D. Power. “They expect their windows or patio doors to be delivered when promised, arrive damage free, installed without hassle and their home left clean. Manufacturers, their retail network and installation professionals that focus on the total experience and manage expectations through frequent communication rather than just one of these performance steps individually are more likely to highly satisfy customers, which can lead to greater recommendations and brand loyalty.”
Window and Patio Door Satisfaction Rankings
- Window World (841) ranks highest in customer satisfaction among window and patio door brands and performs particularly well in warranty.
- Renewal by Andersen (832) ranks second, followed by American Craftsman (825).
- Overall satisfaction with windows and patio doors is 811, up from 803 in 2015.
Following are some of the findings of the 2016 study:
- Influential Sources of Information and Reasons for Purchase: The most influential sources of information for windows and patio doors shoppers include the recommendation from a professional (19%), followed by their past experience (13%) and the in-store product display (12%). The top reasons for selecting a particular brand are best value for budget (14%); recommendation from a professional (12%); and the quality of construction/workmanship (10%).
- Window Replacements Mostly First-Time Buyers: Nearly three-fourths (70%) of purchases are for window replacements, compared with 21% for a remodel and 5% for new construction. Satisfaction is highest among replacement customers. More than one-half (59%) of the study’s respondents are first-time windows and patio doors buyers. For the remaining 41% of respondents, it has been seven years, on average, since their last purchase.
- Satisfaction Drives Loyalty: Among delighted customers (overall satisfaction scores of 901 and above), 73% say they “definitely will” repurchase the brand, compared with the study average of 36%. Additionally, 76% of delighted windows and patio doors customers say they “definitely will” recommend the brand to others, compared with the study average of 40%.
- Delightful Experience Influences Recommendations: Among delighted customers, the average number of positive recommendations is 5.6, compared with the study average of 3.8.
The 2016 Windows and Patio Doors Satisfaction Study is based on survey responses from 2,628 customers who purchased windows or patio doors within the previous 12 months. The study was fielded in January through March 2016.
For more information about J.D. Power solutions for the home improvement industry, visit http://www.jdpower.com/industry/home-improvement
See the online press release at http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2016-windows-and-patio-doors-satisfaction-study
Media Relations Contacts
John Tews; Troy, Mich.; 248-680-6218; [email protected]
About J.D. Power and Advertising/Promotional Rules www.jdpower.com/about-us/press-release-info