Renewal by Andersen Ranks Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Windows and Patio Doors
One-Third of Customers Rely on Outside Guidance with Their Window/Patio Door Purchase Decision, Creating an Opportunity for Brands
WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 17 June 2015 — Renewal by Andersen ranks highest in customer satisfaction with windows and patio doors for the first time, according to the J.D. Power 2015 Windows and Patio Doors Satisfaction StudySM released today.
Now in its ninth year, the study measures satisfaction among customers who purchased windows and/or patio doors within the past 12 months, based on performance in five factors (in alphabetical order): appearance and design features; operational performance and durability; ordering and delivery; price paid for products and services received; and warranty. Satisfaction is measured on a 1,000-point scale.
According to the study, 57 percent of customers who purchase windows are first-time buyers.
With respect to selecting their windows, 66 percent of customers indicate making the brand decision themselves, with the remaining 34 percent relying on guidance from an outsider, such as an installer/independent contractor, retailer/window store representative or architect. Notably, satisfaction is significantly lower among customers who receive outside help with their purchase decision, compared with those who decide themselves (785 vs. 815, respectively).
Traditionally, for most window manufacturers, there is limited direct contact with customers. Just 17 percent of customers indicate they purchased their window either directly through the manufacturer or a manufacturer-owned store/distributor. Yet, satisfaction among customers who purchase their windows directly is significantly higher (835) than among those who purchase elsewhere (799). Satisfaction is also significantly higher with ordering and delivery among customers who purchase directly (854) vs. purchasing elsewhere (821).
“To capture business and increase customer satisfaction, manufacturers have an opportunity to get their brand front and center with the customer to drive their value message at every possible touch point through the shopping, purchase, delivery, installation and ownership period,” said Christina Cooley, director of home improvement industries at J.D. Power. “Given that most customers do not purchase directly from the manufacturer and that professionals or retailers can have substantial influence on a customer’s brand decision, manufacturers must communicate a strong brand message and deliver on it through their products and service.”
Window and Patio Door Satisfaction Rankings
- Renewal by Andersen (833) ranks highest in customer satisfaction among window and patio door brands and performs particularly well in ordering and delivery, operational performance and durability and design features.
- Pella (824) ranks second, followed by Window World (817).
- Overall satisfaction with windows and patio doors is 803.
The 2015 Windows and Patio Doors Satisfaction Study is based on survey responses from 2,442 customers who purchased windows or patio doors within the previous 12 months. The study was fielded in January and February 2015. For more information about J.D. Power solutions for the home improvement industry visit: http://www.jdpower.com/industry/home-improvement
Media Relations Contacts
John Tews; Troy, Mich.; 248-680-6218; [email protected]
About J.D. Power and Advertising/Promotional Rules www.jdpower.com/about-us/press-release-info
About McGraw Hill Financial www.mhfi.com