WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 8 April 2015 — IKEA ranks highest in customer satisfaction with kitchen cabinets for a second consecutive year, according to the J.D. Power 2015 Kitchen Cabinet Satisfaction StudySM released today.
The study measures customer satisfaction with kitchen cabinets by examining five factors (in alphabetical order): design features, operational performance, ordering and delivery, price, and warranty. Satisfaction is measured on a 1,000-point scale.
The growth in home improvement spending is expected to slow throughout 2015. In the 2014 Kitchen Cabinet Satisfaction Study, 15 percent of customers who were asked about their recent and future home improvement purchases indicated they intended to purchase kitchen cabinets in the next 12 months; however, the 2015 study finds only 11 percent actually purchased them.
“As consumers have become more cautious with their home improvement spend, pressure on manufacturers to differentiate their brands so customers can recognize the unique value proposition offered has increased,” said Christina Cooley, director of home improvement industries at J.D. Power. “Since purchasing kitchen cabinets is a substantial investment for customers, it is to the manufacturer’s advantage to ensure the shopping, ordering, delivery, and installation process is as easy as possible. This can help reduce stress, maximize the value of the purchase, and encourage loyalty and word of mouth recommendations long-term.”
Kitchen Cabinet Brand Satisfaction Rankings
- IKEA (820) ranks highest in customer satisfaction among kitchen cabinet brands for a second consecutive year.
- Thomasville (816) ranks second highest among kitchen cabinet brands.
- Overall customer satisfaction with kitchen cabinet brands is 794.
- More than one-half (52%) of kitchen cabinet purchases are for full kitchen remodels, compared with 39 percent for a partial remodel.
- More than two-thirds (69%) of the study respondents are first-time kitchen cabinet buyers. For the remaining 31 percent of customers who have purchased cabinets in the past, it has been 8 years since their last purchase, on average.
- Most customers choose which cabinet brand to purchase themselves (65%), followed by a recommendation from a contractor/installer (22%) and another source, such as a retailer or architect (13%).
The 2015 Kitchen Cabinet Satisfaction Study is based on responses from 2,158 customers who purchased kitchen cabinets within the previous 12 months. The study was fielded in January and February 2015. For more information about J.D. Power solutions for the home improvement industry: https://www.jdpower.com/industry/home-improvement
Media Relations Contacts
John Tews; Troy, Mich.; 248-680-6218; [email protected]
About J.D. Power and Advertising/Promotional Rules www.jdpower.com/about-us/press-release-info
About McGraw Hill Financial www.mhfi.com
Source: Leading Indicator of Remodeling Activity reported by the Remodeling Futures Program at the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University.