WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 24 July 2013 — Following two years of declines, hotel guest satisfaction has increased significantly, reaching its highest levels in the past seven years, according to the J.D. Power 2013 North America Hotel Guest Satisfaction Index StudySM released today.
- Overall guest satisfaction has improved to 777, up 20 points from 2012.
- This marks the highest satisfaction index score for the hotel industry since the introduction of the current study methodology in 2006.
- The number of interactions a guest has with the hotel staff may have a significant impact on overall satisfaction.
- Luxury: The Ritz-Carlton (for a fourth consecutive year)
- Upper Upscale: Kimpton Hotels
- Upscale: Hyatt Place
- Midscale Full Service: Holiday Inn (for a third consecutive year)
- Midscale: Drury Hotels (for an eighth consecutive year
- Economy/Budget: Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham
- Upper Extended Stay: Homewood Suites
- Extended Stay: TownePlace Suites
- Make the hotel work for you. Contact the property ahead of time and ask for suggestions for things to do; have them book restaurant reservations; and get all the directions you need before you arrive.
- If you are a frequent guest of a particular hotel, know the name of the front office manager and communicate to them ahead of your arrival to ensure they are aware of your visit. Loyalty still goes a long way in the hotel business.
- If you have special requests, call the hotel directly, talk to the front office manager, or email them with your needs. They are usually willing to work with you when given ample time. Don't wait until you arrive to make complicated requests.
- Don't assume all hotels are alike. Take advantage of all the information available to make an informed choice. If you know what you are getting ahead of time, you are less likely to be disappointed with your stay.
The 2013 North America Hotel Guest Satisfaction Index Study is based on responses gathered between July 2012 and May 2013 from more than 68,700 guests from Canada and the United States who stayed in a hotel in North America between June 2012 and May 2013.
The food and beverage factor is not included in the upper extended stay segment.
This segment was previously called Midscale Limited Service.
The Upper Extended Stay segment is new to the study in 2013. Homewood Suites previously ranked highest in the Extended Stay segment.
About J.D. Power
J.D. Power is a global marketing information services company providing performance improvement, social media and customer satisfaction insights and solutions. The company's quality and satisfaction measurements are based on responses from millions of consumers annually. Headquartered in Westlake Village, Calif., J.D. Power has offices in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. For more information on car reviews and ratings, car insurance, health insurance, cell phone ratings, and more, please visit JDPower.com. J.D. Power is a business unit of McGraw-Hill Financial.
About McGraw Hill Financial
McGraw Hill Financial (NYSE: MHFI), a financial intelligence company, is a leader in credit ratings, benchmarks and analytics for the global capital and commodity markets. Iconic brands include: Standard & Poor's Ratings Services, S&P Capital IQ, S&P Dow Jones Indices, Platts, CRISIL, J.D. Power, McGraw Hill Construction and Aviation Week. The Company has approximately 17,000 employees in 27 countries. Additional information is available at www.mhfi.com.
Media Relations Contacts
Jeff Perlman; Brandware Public Relations; Woodland Hills, Calif.; (818) 598-1115; [email protected]
John Tews; Troy, Mich.; (248) 680-6218; [email protected]
Follow us on Twitter: @JDPower
No advertising or other promotional use can be made of the information in this release without the express prior written consent of J.D. Power. www.jdpower.com/corporate
- Travel and Hospitality
Headline (Press release headline):
Following Two Years of Declines, Hotel Guest Satisfaction Increases to a Seven-Year High
Subhead (Press release subhead, if applicable):
The Ritz-Carlton; Kimpton Hotels; Hyatt Place; Holiday Inn; Drury Hotels; Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham; Homewood Suites and TownePlace Suites Each Rank Highest in Guest Satisfaction in Their Respective Segments
Following two years of declines, hotel guest satisfaction has increased significantly, reaching its highest levels in the past seven years, according to the J.D. Power 2013 North America Hotel Guest Satisfaction Index Studyreleased today.