New 2022 Ford Explorer Expands ST Options
The Ford Explorer was an early player in the SUV world and helped kick start a craze that today has taken over the world. SUVs are now the most popular vehicles on the road and far outsell cars in many cases. To capitalize on this trend, Ford cut almost all passenger car models from its catalog to focus on SUVs, and for 2022 it’s expanding the elder statesman Explorer lineup with new options and a more powerful standard engine for some trim levels.
The 2022 Explorer’s performance-oriented ST trim picks up two new options that expand its appeal to buyers who don’t want to spend a mint on a new SUV. The Explorer isn’t exactly a performance SUV, but Ford offers it in a surprisingly quick ST trim, which gets a powerful, 400-horsepower turbocharged V6 engine. Buyers can now configure the vehicle with rear-wheel drive only, which opens more options for those that don’t need or want to pay for the 4-wheel-drive option. Further down the price range, Ford also added an Explorer ST-Line trim level.
The Explorer ST-Line is new for 2022 and brings all the ST’s aggressive appearance and styling touches, along with a much lower price. The ST-Line gets 20-inch wheels and blacked-out exterior trim pieces and is powered by a 2.3-liter EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine that makes 300 hp. Its MSRP comes in at $7,570 less than the full-blown ST and $2,575 less than the Enthusiast ST.
Ford is making several other changes to the Explorer for the 2022 model year. They include:
- 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6 engine producing 400 hp and 415 pound-feet of torque is now standard for King Ranch and Platinum trims
- Option to choose between captain’s chairs or bench seat in the second row
- King Ranch and Platinum trims get a standard Technology package that includes a 10.1-inch touchscreen, multi-contour seats, and a 14-speaker B&O stereo
- New options for Timberline and XLT trims
- Two new exterior color options: Stone Blue and Burgundy Velvet
No pricing details are available at this point, but Ford notes that the 2022 Explorer is due in showrooms later this year. We expect to hear more as we approach the vehicle’s on-sale date.
Ford is the source of information for this article. It was accurate on August 20, 2021, but it may have changed since that date.