At J.D. Power, we amplify the Voice of the Customer and help brands improve the value of their products and services. Together, these principles empower everyone in the global commerce ecosystem, enabling better purchase decisions.
J.D. Power has been capturing and analyzing the Voice of the Customer across more than a dozen industries globally for 50 years.
Our Data, Analytics, and Resources
Across 18 offices globally, our team of more than 800 professional analysts, statisticians, economists, consultants, and experts in demographics and consumer behavior focus on delivering insights clients can act on immediately.
We understand that the customer experience is vital and that simply measuring it is not enough.
Our Decades of Success
In 1968, J.D. "Dave" Power III established J.D. Power from his kitchen table, with a primary focus on the automotive industry. Since then, we have successfully influenced the everyday lives of consumers and industries worldwide by delivering insights to drive improvement in our clients' products and services. We have expanded operations to include offices throughout North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. Here is a timeline of our key milestones through our decades of success:
- April 1, 1968: Dave Power and his wife Julie start the firm from the kitchen table in their Calabasas, Calif., home.
- Feb. 7, 1969: J.D. Power and Associates incorporates.
- 1969: J.D. Power enters the auto market with its first client, Toyota Motor Company.
- 1973: The Wall Street Journal reports Mazda's Wankel engine problems, based on data from one of the first J.D. Power independently funded surveys. The firm gains national prominence for its Voice of the Customer data.
- 1980's: Publications debut--Automotive Consumer Profile Newsletter, Power Newsletter and The Power Report.
- 1981: U.S. Automotive Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) Study launches. The new study is the cornerstone of the firm's plan to expand to include independently funded syndicated studies within the auto industry.
- January 22, 1984: Subaru became the first automaker to advertise its J.D. Power rankings by running a commercial during Super Bowl XVIII. Since then, more than 200,000 television commercials and more than 2 billion print ad impressions refer to J.D. Power awards annually.
- 1987: U.S. Automotive Initial Quality Study (IQS) and U.S. Automotive Media Study debut.
- 1989: The first automotive syndicated study trophy award was issued by J.D. Power. Acura ranked highest in the 1989 U.S. Automotive Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) Study.
- 1992: J.D. Power III receives a Distinguished Service Citation from the Automotive Hall of Fame.
- 1999: JDPower.com is launched: Power Circle Ratings bring syndicated study highlights directly to consumers without charge.
- 2006: The first J.D. Power book, "SATISFACTION: How Every Great Company Listens To the Voice of the Customer," written by J.D. Power IV and Chris Denove, is published.
- 2014: J.D. Power III inducted into Automotive Hall of Fame.
- 2015: J.D. Power acquires NADA Used Car Guide.
- 2016: U.S. Initial Quality Study conducted for 30th consecutive year.
- 2017: J.D. Power acquires NADAguides.com.
- 2018: Dave Habiger is named the new President and CEO of J.D. Power; Company celebrates its 50th Anniversary.