New for 2015:Volvo
Jeff Youngs | Mar 13, 2015
2015 Volvo OverviewVolvo currently offers six different models for the 2015 model year, including two wagons that are brand-new to the U.S. market, as well as the all-new 2016 XC90 SUV, which introduces an all-new design for the brand as well as many new technologies. For 2015, Volvo is introducing American drivers to the V60, a midsize wagon, and the V60 Cross Country, a variant that sits higher than the V60 and behaves more like a crossover SUV.
Returning models have been updated with new mechanical features, including new engines and transmissions (only for front-wheel-drive models), engine start/stop technology, and enhanced safety and communications features. Many of these changes will happen midway through the model year, so they'll show up only on vehicles made in the latter half of 2015. The XC60 luxury crossover, for example, is slated to receive a new 5-cylinder turbocharged engine midway through the year, and Volvo says it will add pep and pop to the vehicle's performance.
- Two new 4-cylinder engines
- 8-speed automatic transmission
- Automatic engine start/stop saves fuel
- Lane Assist is an available option
- Cars built in latter part of the year get upgraded communications equipment
The 2015 Volvo S80 is available in black or white, or in several premium colors. The base model features 17-in. alloy wheels. The 2015 Volvo S80 is offered in T5 Drive-E and T5 Drive-E Platinum trim levels, both of which feature FWD, and the T6 AWD or the T6 AWD Platinum. Even the base models are lavishly equipped, with luxury touches such as leather upholstery and walnut inlays, and a 3-spoke leather-covered steering wheel.
- More fuel-efficient 4-cylinder engine for FWD models
- Upgraded option packages
- Rearranged trim levels
- Platinum trim level is fully loaded and offers few options
This 5-passenger wagon is available in three trim levels: T5 Drive-E, T5 AWD, and T6 AWD R-Design. Various option packages are available. The Premier package includes leather upholstery, roof rails, keyless ignition and entry, and more; the Premier Plus adds power-folding mirrors, rearview camera, and fold-flat front passenger seat, among other enhancements; the Platinum package adds a navigation system, 12-speaker surround-sound audio system, and more. The T6 AWD R-Design includes a sport-tuned suspension, adaptive xenon headlights, and a turbocharged, 3.0-liter 6-cylinder engine that makes 325 horsepower and 354 lb.-ft. of torque.
- All-new model for U.S. markets in 2015
The 2015 Volvo V60 Cross Country features AWD. Its standard engine is a 250-horsepower, turbocharged 2.5-liter 5-cylinder that cranks up to 266 lb.-ft. of torque.
- All-new model for 2015
Many options are available, many of them as packages, and many of those packages are standard on the upper trim levels. These include high-tech features like electric-folding rear headrests and an elaborate adaptive cruise control system that adds auto-braking for possible collisions.
- New engines for FWD models
- New engines phased in for AWD models
- Upgraded 8-speed automatic transmission is standard
- Rearranged trim levels
- Additional and enhanced safety features
Trim levels for these configurations include base, Premier, Premier Plus, and Platinum. Even the lower trim levels offer various luxury features as standard equipment. Many option packages are available, including two climate packages, technology, convenience, and proximity packages, twin child booster seats, and more.
- New 4-cylinder engines for FWD models
- New 8-speed automatic transmission
- Slight reshuffling of standard equipment at various trim levels
- Volvo On Call and Sensus Connect telematics systems will be added mid-year as standard features
Initially, the 2016 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD is available to U.S. consumers with a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine-both supercharged and turbocharged-paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission and an AWD system. This powertrain produces 316 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque. Later in the year, the 2016 XC90 T8 AWD will be rolled out, equipped with what Volvo calls a "twin-engine" plug-in hybrid powertrain. It essentially uses the T6 AWD gasoline engine, adds an electric motor, and features a rechargeable battery to provide up to 25 miles of electric vehicle range. Total output equates to 400 horsepower and 472 lb.-ft. of torque.
- Aggressively reworked exterior displays new Volvo design cues
- Standard turbocharged and supercharged 4-cylinder engine
- Available plug-in hybrid model with 7-passenger seating
- Tablet-style touch screen; responsive when user is wearing gloves
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration
- New City Safety and IntelliSafe technologies