5 Fast Facts:2016 Toyota RAV4
Two decades ago, Toyota launched the RAV4 car-based compact SUV. This year, the 2016 RAV4 has been redesigned with updated exterior and interior styling. A new athletic SE trim is added with sporty touches and nimbler suspension. The RAV4 also is available as a gasoline/electric hybrid variant for maximum fuel efficiency.
Below are five fast facts about the 2016 Toyota RAV4:
1) Four trim levels include LE, XLE, Limited, and a new SE trim that features sport-tuned suspension, rides on 18-in. alloy wheels, and has paddle shifters for the 6-speed automatic transmission. A special bumper and lower grille design are featured with new exterior color treatments and upscale sporty interior.
2) The RAV4’s look is enhanced with a new fascia for a smoother profile, Toyota says. Available front and taillight LED lighting systems add a premium touch. New wheel designs accent the freshened 2016 SUV. Three colors are added: Silver Sky Metallic, Black Currant Metallic, and Electric Storm Blue.
3) Toyota expects the new RAV4 Hybrid variant to receive EPA fuel-economy ratings averaging 33 mpg for city/highway combined driving. The RAV4 Hybrid, which Toyota claims to be more powerful and quicker, is offered in XLE and Limited trims. Gas-powered RAV4s come standard with a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine that delivers 176 horsepower and 172 lb.-ft. of torque, teamed with a 6-speed automatic with driver-selectable operating modes.
4) The Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) advanced safety package is standard on the RAV4 Limited but optional on other trims. It includes a pre-collision warning system, lane-departure alert, automatic high beams, plus radar cruise control. Some trim levels offer an optional blind-spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert.
5) The 2016 Toyota RAV4 earned a 5-star (out of 5) overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and received a “Top Safety Pick+” designation from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.