5 Fast Facts:2016 Subaru Outback
Subaru redesigned its all-weather-capable Outback midsize sport utility wagon for the 2015 model year. For 2016, the all-wheel-drive vehicle brand adds new Starlink safety and security connected features and more advanced EyeSight driver-assistance technology that includes lane-departure alert.
Here are five fast facts about the 2016 Subaru Outback:
1) The Outback 2.5i is a 5-passenger midsize SUV that rides on 17-in. steel or alloy wheels, comes with roof rack rails, automatic headlights, rearview camera, and smartphone connectivity. Three trim levels are offered: Standard, Premium, and Limited. The more robust 6-cylinder-powered 3.6R is only available in the upscale Limited trim.
2) The Outback’s instrument panel layout was updated and improved in the 2015 redesign to incorporate new features in the infotainment system and display. The Starlink system has been enhanced with more communication and information features such as auto crash notification and stolen-vehicle recovery.
3) The Outback is powered by a 4- or 6-cylinder Boxer engine with horizontally opposed pistons, known for durability. The Outback 2.5i features a 175-horsepower, 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine that generates 174 lb.-ft. of torque paired with a standard continuously variable transmission (CVT) with manual mode and paddle shifters. The more robust Outback 3.6R relies on a 3.6-liter 6-cylinder engine that produces 256 horsepower and 247 lb.-ft. of torque fitted with the same fuel-efficient CVT.
4) The Outback’s cargo area is roomier, and the crossover SUV offers taller ground clearance than a typical wagon at 8.7 inches. Options for personalization include a power moonroof package; sunroof; and a navigation and audio system with map, travel, weather, sports, and info. updates. Leather upholstery, 18-in. wheels, a 12-speaker audiophile system, plus advanced safety features are standard on the Limited.
5) Standard and optional Eyesight advanced driver-assistance technologies now include pre-collision braking and management; adaptive cruise control; lane-keep assist and lane-departure systems; blind-spot detection; rear cross-traffic alert; and power rear tailgate.