5 Fast Facts:2016 Jeep Cherokee
The Jeep Cherokee compact SUV was redone in 2014 on a car-based platform. The newest-generation model foregoes the boxy Jeep stance and features a sleeker design with eyebrow-shaped running lights, less rugged 7-bar grille, and pointy front end. For 2016, enhancements are made to the driver’s seat and infotainment and safety systems.
Below are five fast facts about the 2016 Jeep Cherokee to consider when looking for a compact SUV:
1) All front-wheel-drive (FWD) or 4-wheel-drive (4WD) Jeep Cherokees are equipped with a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine that produces 184 horsepower and 171 lb.-ft. of torque. Jeep also offers a 3.2-liter V-6 that generates 271 horsepower and 239 lb.-ft. of torque and can tow up to 4,500 lbs. Both engines are partnered with a 9-speed automatic transmission that aids performance and fuel economy.
2) The 5-seat Jeep Cherokee features Selec-terrain, an integrated traction control system that offers five modes: Auto, Snow, Sport, Sand/Mud, and Rock. Three 4x4 systems are offered, and Jeep includes what it calls an industry first: rear axle disconnect for better fuel economy when 4x4 capability isn’t required.
3) Four trim levels are offered: base Sport; Latitude with aluminum wheels, body-colored mirrors, door handles, and roof rails among additions; and the Limited with adjustable heated leather front seats among upscale amenities. The fourth Trailhawk variant is ready to meet challenging off-road conditions and includes unique front and rear fascias, 1-in. factory lift, locking rear differential, skid plates, and red tow hooks.
4) Exterior changes for 2016 include two new paint choices: Rhino Clear Coat and Light Brownstone. Inside, improvements have been made to the steering column tilt, instrument cluster arrangement, and the comfort level of the front seats.
5) Technology is updated for 2016. A 5-in. Uconnect screen is standard with Bluetooth, USB, and auxiliary ports. An 8.4-in. touch-screen display is standard on Limited and Trailhawk trim levels. Safety features on all trims include: ABS; 10 air bags; stability and traction control; hill-start assist; and an electric parking brake. Advanced safety system options include: a blind-spot monitor, park assist, forward-collision warning, and rear cross-traffic alert.