5 Fast Facts:2016 Chevrolet Camaro
The Chevrolet Camaro, rival to the Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger, has been redesigned for 2016. The sixth-generation, rear-wheel-drive, 2-door sporty car is lighter, faster, and built on the same vehicle architecture as Cadillac’s ATS and CTS, which provides a “smaller, wider, more athletic Camaro shape,” according to Chevrolet.
Here are five fast facts about the 2016 Chevy Camaro coupe/convertible to help you shop for a sporty car:
1) Exterior styling is similar to its predecessor but features a wide, narrowed grille and headlights and prominent rear end spoiler. Available trims are 1LT, 2LT, 1SS, and 2SS, in addition to high-performance Z28. The Camaro LT rides on 18-in. aluminum wheels and includes high-tech lighting, plus a unique grille. The Camaro SS rides on 20-in. wheels and features HID headlights, LED accents and taillights, and performance technologies.
2) The Camaro LT is equipped with a turbocharged, 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine that makes 275 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque. An optional 3.6-liter V-6 motor delivers 335 horsepower and 284 lb.-ft. of torque, while the SS is equipped with a 6.2-liter V-8 power plant that generates 455 horsepower and 455 lb.-ft. of torque. A 6-speed manual transmission is standard, but a new 8-speed automatic with paddle shifters is available.
3) The new Camaro’s interior has been revitalized with spectrum lighting, and the instrument panel has been redone with digital gauges and updated climate controls. The Camaro comes with a 7-in. or available 8-in. touch screen, and some trims offer wireless smartphone charging, Apple CarPlay, navigation, and a Bose audio system.
4) A Driver Mode selector allows individualized tuning to Eco, Sport, or Touring settings on the LT, plus the SS gets a Track mode. Stability control, multiple air bags, and a rearview camera are standard. Blind-spot monitoring, forward-collision warning, and rear park-assist sensors are optional.
5) Electric power steering is standard on the 2016 Camaro and Brembo brakes are available. Magnetic ride control suspension is an optional handling feature on the SS.