WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 16 April 2015 — BEHR ranks highest in customer satisfaction with interior paint and Clark + Kensington ranks highest in exterior paint, while Sherwin-Williams ranks highest in satisfaction with paint retailers, according to the J.D. Power 2015 Paint Satisfaction StudySM released today.
The study measures customer satisfaction with interior and exterior paint brands, and major paint retailers. In the interior and exterior paint segments, satisfaction is measured across six factors (in alphabetical order): application; design guides; durability; price; product offerings; and warranty/guarantee. In the retailer segment, satisfaction is measured across five factors (in alphabetical order): merchandise; price; sales and promotions; staff and service; and store facility. Satisfaction is measured on a 1,000-point scale.
Customer satisfaction with their painting project is largely determined by their experience with both the paint and the shopping and purchase process. The 2015 study finds that 23 percent of customers have taken on both interior and exterior paint projects within the past 12 months. Findings also show that 65 percent of customers choose the same brand for interior and exterior paint products.
“When taking on different types of painting projects, customers want a brand they can trust to meet their various needs and a single retailer that will provide them with guidance on how to achieve a favorable result,” said Christina Cooley, director of home improvement industries at J.D. Power. “Customers do not want to visit multiple stores. They prefer a one-stop-shopping experience that meets all of their needs, which creates a win-win for customers who are satisfied with the convenience of a single source and for brands and retailers that can capture a larger share of wallet.”
Interior Paint Brand Satisfaction Rankings
- BEHR (823) ranks highest in customer satisfaction among interior paint brands and performs particularly well in the durability and warranty/guarantee factors.
- Sherwin-Williams (821) ranks second and Benjamin Moore (820) ranks third.
Exterior Paint Brand Satisfaction Rankings
- Clark + Kensington (828) ranks highest in customer satisfaction among exterior paint brands, performing particularly well in application; design guides; durability; price; and product offerings.
- Sherwin-Williams (818) ranks second, followed by Pittsburgh (815).
Paint Retailer Satisfaction Rankings
- Sherwin-Williams (831) ranks highest in customer satisfaction among paint retailers and performs particularly well in the merchandise; staff and service; and store facility factors.
- Ace Hardware (818) ranks second and Menards (813)ranks third.
The 2015 Paint Satisfaction Study is based on responses from 7,840 customers who purchased interior and/or exterior paint within the previous 12 months. The study was fielded in January and February 2015. For more information about J.D. Power solutions for the home improvement industry: http://www.jdpower.com/industry/home-improvement
Media Relations Contacts
John Tews; Troy, Mich.; 248-680-6218; email@example.com
About J.D. Power and Advertising/Promotional Rules www.jdpower.com/about-us/press-release-info
About McGraw Hill Financial www.mhfi.com