Satisfaction with After-Sales Service Experience in Australia Declines for a Second Consecutive Year, with Urbanites and Households with Children among the Least Satisfied
Share This Page
Mazda Ranks Highest in Customer Satisfaction with After-Sales Service in Australia
Chapter 2: 6746: Customer Requirements at the Service Centre
Chapter 3: 6739: Capped Price Servicing
Chapter 4: 6734: Performance of the Highest Ranked Make
Chapter 5: 6744: What Stands Out for the Australian Market?
Overall satisfaction with the vehicle service experience at authorised service centres in Australia declines to 783 (on a 1,000-point scale) in 2013, an 8-point decrease from 2012. Satisfaction among vehicle owners in households with children decreases by 13 points to 767, while satisfaction among urbanites decreases by 12 points to 772 year over year. Notably, 35 percent of customers taking their car for service have children in their households and 27 percent of all service customers in the study live in a city.
- Among the 19 percent of vehicle owners who remain at the service centre while their vehicle is serviced, satisfaction is higher when a broad range of facilities and amenities are available during their wait. Service centres offering four or fewer facilities and amenities gain an average overall satisfaction of 774 compared with 859 for centres that offer five or more.
- The study shows that only 14 percent of service centres offer Wi-Fi, and only five percent have a children's playground. This is in stark contrast to other markets, like China, which has 36 percent of service centres providing a children's playground or 88 percent with Internet access . Satisfaction levels increase significantly when Wi-Fi is offered at the dealership compared with when it's not (837 vs. 774 points), and if a playground is available (835 vs. 780 points).
- According to the study, 29 percent of vehicle owners need alternative transportation when leaving their vehicle for service at the dealership or service centre. Among vehicle owners who need alternative transportation, 50 percent are offered a free ride; 34 percent are offered a free loan vehicle; and 11 percent are not offered an alternative. Overall satisfaction among vehicle owners who are not provided a transportation option is 704 points--79 points below the industry average.
- Nearly one-fifth (19%) of vehicle owners do not receive a commitment from their dealer regarding the time their vehicle will be ready. Among the 12 percent of vehicle owners who indicate their committed time was missed, satisfaction is 151 points lower than among those whose serviced vehicle was ready on time (657 vs. 808, respectively).
- Offering capped-price servicing increases the likelihood of securing repeat business for service centres. More than one-half (52 percent) of vehicle owners who received capped-price servicing indicate they will revisit their service centre or dealership for post-warranty work, compared with 45 percent among those who did not receive capped pricing.
- More than one-fourth (28%) of vehicle owners indicate their vehicle was both washed and vacuumed during their service visit, compared with 27 percent in 2012 and 15 percent in 2011. Moreover, satisfaction among vehicle owners whose vehicle was cleaner after service than before service is 829, compared with 757 among vehicle owners whose vehicle was not cleaned, and 587 among those whose vehicle was returned less clean after service than it was upon arrival at the service centre.
- Among vehicle owners who are highly satisfied (satisfaction scores 893 or higher) with the dealer's overall service performance, 85 percent say they "definitely would" revisit the service dealer for post-warranty service. In contrast, only 10 percent of highly dissatisfied vehicle owners (satisfaction scores of 699 points or lower) say the same.
Australia Customer Satisfaction Rankings
Media Relations Contacts
XingTi Liu; J.D. Power Asia Pacific; 08-Shenton Way, #44-02/03/04; Singapore, 068811; Phone +65-67338980; email@example.com
John Tews; Director, Media Relations; J.D. Power; Troy, Michigan 48083 USA; 001-248-680-6218; firstname.lastname@example.org
About J.D. Power and Advertising/Promotional Rules http://www.jdpower.com/about/index.htm