Appliance Brands and Retailers Can Impact Consideration and Purchase Behaviors through Their Websites
Share This Page
GE Appliances and Best Buy Rank Highest among Appliance Brand and Retailer Websites
WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 14 November 2013 — The more useful a website is to appliance shoppers, the higher the likelihood they are to visit a physical store and consider additional purchases from the brand or retailer, according to the inaugural J.D. Power 2013 Appliance Shopper Website Evaluation StudySM released today.
The study, which evaluates the usability of appliance brand and retailer websites, finds that approximately three in four shoppers are more likely to consider a specific brand or shop a specific retailer when they have an outstanding experience with the website.
"Consumers find retailer and brand websites very helpful while shopping for major appliances," said Christina Cooley, director of the home improvement practice at J.D. Power. "To maximize the online shopping experience, it is important to focus on the whole package in terms of content, navigation, appearance and speed. Understanding what information and website features are most important to shoppers is critical to drive consideration and conversion to purchase. It is also important to keep in mind that Internet research doesn't just happen at home, with a high percentage of shoppers going online while at a physical store location."
- Product ratings/reviews and pricing are the most important website features to shoppers.
- While 75 percent of appliance shoppers' online research takes place on a desktop/laptop computer, 42 percent of shoppers indicate they have used a smartphone and/or tablet to research appliance product information while at the physical store location.
- Tasks an appliance shopper would likely perform on a smartphone and/or tablet when accessing a retailer or brand site include finding a store location, followed by product pricing information and researching sales and promotions.
- GE Appliances ranks highest among appliance brand websites, followed by Jenn-Air, Maytag and Kenmore, respectively.
- Best Buy ranks highest among appliance retailer websites, followed by Lowe's, The Home Depot and Sears, respectively.
The 2013 Appliance Shopper Website Evaluation Study is based on responses from 3,037 major appliance purchase intenders who evaluated both brand and retailer websites. It was fielded in September 2013.
About J.D. Power
J.D. Power is a global marketing information services company providing performance improvement, social media and customer satisfaction insights and solutions. The company's quality and satisfaction measurements are based on responses from millions of consumers annually. Headquartered in Westlake Village, Calif., J.D. Power has offices in North/South America, Europe and Asia Pacific. For more information on car reviews and ratings, car insurance, health insurance, cell phone ratings, and more, please visit JDPower.com. J.D. Power is a business unit of McGraw Hill Financial.
About McGraw Hill Financial
McGraw Hill Financial (NYSE: MHFI) is a leading financial intelligence company providing the global capital and commodity markets with independent benchmarks, credit ratings, portfolio and enterprise risk solutions, and analytics. The Company's iconic brands include: Standard & Poor's Ratings Services, S&P Capital IQ, S&P Dow Jones Indices, Platts, CRISIL, J.D. Power, and McGraw Hill Construction. The Company has approximately 17,000 employees in 27 countries. Additional information is available at www.mhfi.com