Car Rental Cost-Cutting Tips
Below are tips to help you save money when renting a car:
- Rent from a car rental branch that is located away from the airport. Rental offices at airports often add local or state surcharges. You can usually save by renting from a downtown location, or from a local garage.
- Consider small local companies because they frequently offer low rates.
- Rent through an "opaque" travel Website that will find you the best deal wherever you are going.
- Bundle car rental with airfare and/or hotel. Many travel Websites offer special deals that combine two or all three of these services at a discount.
- Know your insurance coverage. Your own auto insurance policy may include personal liability coverage. Prior to renting, review your policy.
- Explore pricing options for all vehicle s. Frequently, smaller vehicles will cost less than full- and luxury vehicles.
- Consider renting a hybrid model when taking long-distance trips. If you are renting a car for several days and will be refilling the tank once or twice, a hybrid vehicle will save on fuel costs.
- To prevent additional charges upon returning your rental vehicle, refill the gas tank to avoid refueling charges.