Sleeping Well on a Long Airplane Flight
If you are taking a redeye airplane flight, you may want to sleep while traveling between destinations. It's not always easy, but here are some ways you can avoid feeling exhausted on your arrival:
- Get a window seat, preferably in a bulkhead or exit row--or go first-class for more legroom.
- Bring earplugs, noise-canceling headphones, sleep mask, neck pillow, and soft slippers. A hypnosis CD or relaxing music helps some people.
- Wear several layers of clothing so that you can adjust based on outside temperature.
- Eat prior to boarding the flight. Abstain from consuming cafeinated beverages.
- Inform your seatmates and flight attendants that you intend to sleep throughout the flight and request to not be disturbed for meals.
- Ask the flight attendants for a blanket and/or pillows.
- Loosen your collar and cuffs, remove your shoes and put on slippers.
- Know your flying time. This will make it easier to wake yourself up just before you land.