How to Pack for Summer Vacation
The best advice for summer trips is to pack light, according to many travel advisors. Before you begin to get ready for a summer or fall vacation trip, we offer tips that may save time and make traveling easier, less challenging and more fun. These packing hints can be useful for any travel season.
- If you are flying to your vacation destination, pack one carry-on bag. You'll save on baggage fees, breeze through airport security, and navigate the airport more quickly. In addition, you won't have to worry as much about theft, items breaking in transit, or the possibility of the airline losing your luggage.
- Check weather forecasts at your destination and plan your wardrobe and accessories accordingly.
- Make a list of items you intend to pack and check them off as you pack.
- It's best to leave expensive jewelry at home, especially when traveling abroad. Jewelry can make you stand out as a target for thieves.
- Comfortable shoes that are broken-in should be the first thing you select for your vacation.
- Pack fewer clothes and wash clothes more often. If needed, you can buy more clothes on your trip.
- Remember to pack clothing that is versatile. For example, male travelers might pack one pair of lightweight, dark-colored easy-care pants. It's always a good idea for women to consider taking the simple black dress. You can wear these items for casual day travel and add accessories, a jacket, and dressier shoes for a night on the town.
- One of the best ways to keep clothes organized and in good shape is to "vacuum" pack clothes in air-tight freezer bags or compression vacuum packing bags that can be purchased at many retail outlets or online.
- When traveling overseas, it's a good idea to remember that shorts, sleeveless and midriff tops are not allowed when you visit churches, religious sites and museums in Europe, South America or in the Middle East.
- Pack toothpaste, shampoo and lotions in plastic freezer bags that can be sealed in case of leaks.
- It's also a good idea to take sunscreen so you don't pay premium prices at resort or oceanside tourist shops.
- Remember to bring extra batteries and battery chargers for your hair dryers, shavers, electric toothbrushes, DVD players and cell phones, If traveling overseas, make sure you bring power adapters for the particular region.