What's New for 2013:
- Restyled Kia badges
- 16-inch alloy wheel design
- LED running lights standard on EX and SX trim levels
- Power-folding side mirrors added to EX and SX trim levels
- Crimson Red and Metallic Bronze paint colors
The 2013 Kia Forte is a compact car sold in coupe (Koup), hatchback (5-Door), and sedan body styles equipped with LX (sedan only), EX or SX trim levels. A set of 16-inch aluminum wheels is optional on the EX Sedan and standard on the EX 5-Door and EX Koup. The SX trim level features larger 17-inch wheels.
Every 2013 Kia Forte includes air conditioning, Bluetooth, satellite radio, USB/iPod connections, and a height-adjustable driver's seat. Upgrading to EX trim adds power windows, power door locks, cruise control, and a tilt/telescoping steering wheel. The SX trim level includes upgraded trim and gauge displays.
The EX Sedan can be upgraded with a Premium package that adds a sunroof and 16-inch aluminum wheels, or with a Fuel Economy package that provides electric steering and low-rolling-resistance tires. The EX and SX trims are available with a Technology package including a navigation system, reversing camera, automatic climate control, Smart Key entry with push-button ignition, and other upgrades. The SX Leather package includes leather seats that are heated in front.
Under the Hood
The Kia Forte LX and EX trims are equipped with a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine that generates 156 horsepower. A 6-speed manual gearbox is standard on the LX Sedan. A 6-speed Sportmatic automatic transmission is optional on this model and standard on the EX.
The Kia Forte SX trim is designed to deliver greater performance, and is equipped with a 173-horsepower, 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine bolted to a 6-speed Sportmatic automatic transmission.
EPA fuel-economy estimates for the 2013 Kia Forte are:
- Forte 2.0L Sedan/Hatch with manual transmission: 25/34/29 mpg (city/highway/combined)
- Forte 2.0L Koup with manual transmission: 24/33/28 mpg
- Forte 2.0L Sedan/Hatch with automatic transmission: 26/36/29 mpg
- Forte 2.0L Koup with automatic transmission: 25/34/29 mpg
- Forte 2.0L with Fuel Economy Pkg. and automatic transmission: 27/37/30 mpg
- Forte 2.4L with manual transmission (all models): 22/32/26 mpg
- Forte 2.4L Sedan/Hatch with automatic transmission: 23/32/26 mpg
- Forte 2.4L Koup with automatic transmission: 23/31/26 mpg
Each 2013 Kia Forte is equipped with 6 air bags, anti-lock brakes, and a traction and stability control system. A reversing camera is available on EX and SX trims.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) gives the 2013 Kia Forte an overall crash-test rating of 4 (out of 5) stars, but does issue a concern about the model's rear-seat side-impact protection test, in which a door panel intruded and struck the crash-test dummy's torso. Also, the Forte's side-impact pole test result rates just 2 stars, while the side-impact test result for the driver rates 3 stars. As this overview is written, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has not rated the Kia Forte.