What's New for 2013:
- EV range increases from 35 miles to 38 miles
- \"Hold\" driving mode conserves EV operation for when driver prefers to use it
- Low-Emissions package qualifies Volt for single-occupancy HOV lane access in California and New York
- Pebble Beige fabric or leather
- Body-color roof and tailgate
- Safety packages with lane-departure warning and forward collision alert systems
- Comfort package with heated fabric seats
- Navigation added to Chevy MyLink infotainment system
- Silver Topaz Metallic exterior paint
Chevrolet says the 2013 Volt is the most aerodynamic model in the company's history. Standard on the 5-door hatchback are lightweight 17-inch aluminum wheels, as well as LED running lights and heated side mirrors with turn signal indicators.
The Volt seats 4 passengers and is equipped with Chevrolet MyLink infotainment, Bluetooth connectivity and audio streaming, keyless entry and push-button ignition, and automatic climate control.
The Volt can be upgraded with navigation, Bose premium sound system, leather upholstery, heated front seats, and a choice of two Safety packages.
Under the Hood
The Volt is powered by a unique propulsion system. It is an electric vehicle equipped with an onboard gasoline generator designed to extend the vehicle's range. When the Lithium-ion battery pack, which can be recharged using a standard household electrical outlet, is depleted after 38 miles of pure EV range, a gasoline-powered, 1.4-liter 4-cylinder engine kicks in, and the power it creates is inverted through the Volt's electric drive system. The gasoline engine, in essence, provides power for the electric drive system and rarely directly drives the front wheels.
Recharging time using a standard household outlet takes up to 16 hours, according to Chevrolet. That time is reduced to 4 hours using a 240-volt outlet. Chevrolet offers a variety of ways to program and manage recharging through a RemoteLink smartphone application, allowing owners to take advantage of lower utility rates at specified times.
EPA fuel-economy estimates for the 2013 Chevrolet Volt are:
- Volt in gasoline-only mode: 35/40/37 mpg (city/highway/combined)
- Volt in electric mode: 98 combined MPGe (mpg-equivalent)
The 2013 Volt is equipped with 8 air bags, anti-lock brakes, traction and stability control, and 3 years of free OnStar service including Automatic Crash Response. A driver-activated feature produces an external sound when the vehicle is operating in EV mode, to alert pedestrians that a car is approaching. Safety options include a reversing camera, front and rear park-assist sensors, forward collision warning, and lane-departure warning.