Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles
Thanks to manufacturer certified pre-owned vehicle (CPO) programs, buying a used vehicle can involve less risk and provide you with added benefits. Here are some facts to keep in mind as you consider whether purchasing a CPO vehicle is right for you.
1. A manufacturer certification is a guarantee of quality. During the certification process, CPO vehicles (which are typically used vehicles in excellent condition and with low mileage) are put through a multi-point inspection covering more than 100 factors-including the engine's mechanical condition, electrical system, tires and wheels, and a road test-to ensure high quality. Reconditioning, if necessary, is completed to ensure that the pre-owned vehicle you purchase will perform just as well as a new one.
2. Buying a CPO vehicle can provide you with more car for a lower price. While a CPO vehicle may cost slightly more than a comparable non-CPO vehicle, it will still cost considerably less than a brand-new vehicle of the same make and model. With a CPO vehicle, you may be able to afford a more luxurious model with a greater array of options than you would if you purchased your vehicle brand-new.
3. Most manufacturer CPO programs offer added peace-of-mind and cost-saving benefits. CPO programs typically offer free roadside assistance, attractive financing options, and extended warranties. Be sure to ask your dealer what's included when you shop for a CPO vehicle.
4. The warranty of your manufacturer certified pre-owned vehicle remains valid even if you move, or the dealer ceases to operate. Not all certified pre-owned vehicle programs are created equal, particularly when it comes to warranties. If a vehicle is certified by a dealership or a third party rather than by the automobile manufacturer, the CPO vehicle warranty may become invalid if the dealership or third party ceases to operate, or if you move out of the area. However, when you purchase a manufacturer certified vehicle, your warranty will remain good for the length of its term, and you'll have the ability to take advantage of the protection afforded by your warranty through the manufacturer's network of dealerships.
5. You can avoid incurring the cost of a new car's depreciation. As soon as a new vehicle is driven off the dealer's lot, the value of the car diminishes by thousands of dollars. With a manufacturer CPO vehicle, you get the benefit of driving a high-quality car without paying for the usual depreciation.
Source: J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Used Vehicle Sales and Certification StudySM
Charts and graphs extracted from this press release must be accompanied by a statement identifying J.D. Power and Associates as the publisher and the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Used Vehicle Sales and Certification StudySM as the source. No advertising or other promotional use can be made of the information in this release or J.D. Power and Associates study results without the express prior written consent of J.D. Power and Associates.