Recall Roundup: Toyota Recalls Sienna Minivans for Sliding Door Malfunction
During the past week, Toyota recalled nearly three-quarters of a million Sienna minivans from the 2011 through 2016 model years because of an issue with the power sliding door. Mercedes-Benz also issued a recall, including a total of 672 various S-Class vehicles, from the 2016 and 2017 model years. Details for each safety recall are on the pages that follow, in alphabetical order by car brand.
2016-2017 Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Coupe & Convertible, S65 AMG Coupe; 2016-2017 Mercedes-Benz S550 Coupe & Convertible
- Number of vehicles affected: 672
- Date of manufacture: June 29, 2015 to March 15, 2016
- Issue: Mercedes-Benz is recalling certain model-year 2016-2017 S63 AMG Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe, S550 Coupe 4Matic, S63 AMG 4Matic Convertible, and S550 Convertible vehicles. The seat belt extenders on the affected vehicles may not retract as intended and may potentially break in the event of a crash.
- Remedy: Mercedes-Benz will notify owners, and dealers will update the control unit software free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin in mid-December 2016. Owners may contact Mercedes-Benz customer service at 1-800-367-6372.
- NHTSA recall number: 16V829000
2011-2016 Toyota Sienna
- Number of vehicles affected: 744,437
- Date of manufacture: January 4, 2010 to August 12, 2016
- Issue: If the power sliding door can’t open when commanded—such as if the door is frozen shut—the door may subsequently open unexpectedly, possibly while the vehicle is moving.
- Remedy: The remedy for this recall is still under development.
- Timing: Interim notices are expected to be mailed to owners by January 21, 2017. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331.
- Manufacturer recall number: G04
- NHTSA recall number 16V858000