Recall Roundup: Seat Belts, Steering, Air Bags Trigger Massive Recalls of Mercedes, Hyundai, Kia, Audi, Mitsubishi Vehicles
2013-2016 Audi A4 Sedan, Allroad
2013-2016 Audi A5 Coupe, Cabriolet
2013-2016 Audi Q5
- Number of vehicles affected: 216,440
- Issue: Contact corrosion within the electrical connector for the auxiliary heater in the affected 2013-2016 Audi A5 Coupe, A5 Cabriolet, A4 Sedan, A4 Allroad, and Q5 vehicles may cause the heater wires to overheat or melt.
- Remedy: VW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the auxiliary heater and, as necessary, update the software free of charge.
- Timing: The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Audi customer service at 1-800-893-5298.
- Manufacturer recall number: 80C5 and 80C6
- NHTSA recall number: 17V622000
2011-2015 Hyundai Sonata, Sonata Hybrid
- Number of vehicles affected: 443,545
- Issue: Hyundai is recalling certain 2011-2014 Sonata and 2011-2015 Sonata Hybrid vehicles previously repaired under recall campaign 17V-152. The seat belt linkages for both front seat belts may detach from the seat belt anchor pre-tensioners.
- Remedy: Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will again verify the connection between the seat belt linkage and the pre-tensioner and additionally install a warning label to prevent future seat belt linkage detachment. The repairs will be performed free of charge to the vehicle owner.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin in October 2017. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-371-9460.
- Manufacturer recall number: 169
- NHTSA recall number: 17V617000
2014-2016 Kia Soul, Soul EV
- Number of vehicles affected: 342,381
- Issue: The affected vehicles’ pinion plugs may allow the pinion gear to separate from the steering gear assembly.
- Remedy: Kia will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and secure the pinion plug or replace the steering gear assembly, as necessary, free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin November 16, 2017. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Note: This recall supersedes campaigns 14V-332 and 15V-736. Vehicles previously remedied under those actions are being recalled again under this campaign.
- Manufacturer recall number: SC155
- NHTSA recall number: 17V608000
2015-2017 Maserati Quattroporte GTS
- Number of vehicles affected: 439
- Issue: In the affected vehicles, which feature a 3.8-liter V-8 engine, a resistor in the low-pressure fuel pump resistor may fail, causing a loss of engine power or a stall.
- Remedy: Maserati will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump resistor cable assembly free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin November 13, 2017. Owners may contact Maserati customer service at 1-201-510-2369.
- Manufacturer recall number: 359
- NHTSA recall number: 17V610000
Various 2014-2018 Mercedes-Benz Vehicles
- Number of vehicles affected: 495,290
- Issue: The recall affects certain 2014-2018 CLA250, CLA250 4Matic, CLA45 AMG 4Matic; 2015-2018 GLA250, GLA250 4Matic, GLA45 AMG 4Matic, C300 4Matic, C63S AMG; 2012-2014 C250, C350, C300 4Matic, E550 4Matic; 2013-2014 C63 AMG; 2012-2015 C250 Coupe, C350 Coupe, C63 AMG Coupe; 2013-2015 C350 4Matic Coupe, GLK250 4Matic BlueTec, GLK350, GLK350 4Matic; 2016-2017 C350e, C43 AMG; 2015 C400 4Matic; 2016-2018 C63 AMG, GLC300, GLC300 4Matic; 2017-2018 C300 Coupe, C300 4Matic Coupe, C43 AMG, C63 AMG Coupe, C63S AMG Coupe, C300 Cabriolet, C300 4Matic Cabriolet, C43 AMG Cabriolet, C63 AMG Cabriolet, C63S AMG Cabriolet, GLC300 4Matic Coupe, GLC43 AMG, GLC43 AMG Coupe; 2014 E350 Coupe, E350 4Matic Coupe, E350 Cabriolet, E400 Hybrid; 2015-2017 E400 Coupe, E400 4Matic Coupe, E400 Cabriolet; 2014-2017 E550 Coupe, E550 Cabriolet, B250e; 2014-2016 E250 BlueTec, E63 AMG 4Matic Wagon; 2012-2013 E350 BlueTec; 2012-2016 E350, E350 4Matic; 2015-2016 E400, E400 4Matic; 2012 E63 AMG; 2014-2015 E250 4Matic BlueTec; 2013-2016 E350 Wagon; 2017 GLC300d 4Matic; and 2018 GLC350e 4Matic vehicles. The driver's air bag may unexpectedly deploy due to insufficient grounding of the steering components if an electrostatic discharge occurs and the air bag clockspring is broken.
- Remedy: Mercedes-Benz will notify owners, and dealers will add sufficient grounding to the steering components free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin in December 2017. Owners may contact Mercedes-Benz customer service at 1-877-496-3691.
- NHTSA recall number: 17V627000
2015-2016 Mitsubishi Lancer
2015 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
2015-2017 Mitsubishi Outlander
2015-2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
- Number of vehicles affected: 132,552
- Issue: The affected 2015-2017 Mitsubishi Outlander, 2015-2016 Lancer and Outlander Sport, and 2015 Lancer Evolution vehicles. These vehicles may have defective relays that can result in an engine stall, reduced engine power, or the engine overheating.
- Remedy: Mitsubishi will notify owners, and dealers will replace the affected relays free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin October 24, 2017. Owners may contact Mitsubishi customer service at 1-888-648-7820.
- Manufacturer recall number: SR-17-005
- NHTSA recall number: 17V609000