Recall Roundup: Mitsubishi Recalls 50,000 Outlander Sport SUVs
During the past week, Mitsubishi, Maserati, and Mercedes-Benz issued recalls affecting more than 50,500 light vehicles. The largest of these comes from Mitsubishi, which is recalling 50,220 Outlander Sport SUVs from the 2011, 2012, and 2016 model years. Details for each safety recall are on the pages that follow, in alphabetical order by car brand.
2017 Maserati Ghibli; 2017 Maserati Quattroporte
- Number of vehicles affected: 326
- Date of manufacture: July 1, 2016 to October 12, 2016
- Issue: The rear differential unit pinion nut may not have been properly tightened, allowing the pinion nut to loosen.
- Remedy: Maserati will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the rear differential unit pinion nut torque, and, as necessary, replace the rear differential unit free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin in December 2016. Owners may contact Maserati customer service at 1-201-510-2369.
- Manufacturer recall number: 328
- NHTSA recall number: 16V856000
2016 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500/3500
- Number of vehicles affected: 28
- Date of manufacture: July 1, 2016 to September 30, 2016
- Issue: Seat adjusters may allow the seats to move in the event of a crash.
- Remedy: Midwest Automotive Designs, the manufacturer of the seats, will notify all of the owners and replace the left slide track free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin in December 2016. Owners may contact Midwest customer service at 1-574-522-4878.
- NHTSA recall number: 16V853000
2011-2012 and 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
- Number of vehicles affected: 50,228
- Date of manufacture: August 26, 2010 to June 1, 2012 and January 11, 2016 to July 8, 2016
- Issue: The liftgate support outer tube may have insufficient anti-corrosion treatment; thus, the outer tube could corrode due to salt and water penetration. If the outer tube corrodes, there may be a rapid loss of the gas used to provide lift assistance, causing the lift gate to fall suddenly, increasing the risk of injury.
- Remedy: Mitsubishi will notify owners, and dealers will replace the lift gate supports free of charge.
- Timing: The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Mitsubishi customer service at 1-888-648-7820.
- Manufacturer recall number: SR-16-011
- NHTSA recall number: 16V867000