Recall Roundup: Mercedes, Subaru, Tesla Issue Vehicle Recalls
During the past week, automakers recalled more than 120,000 light passenger vehicles from the 2016 and 2017 model years. The largest of these comes from Mercedes-Benz and affects a variety of vehicles. Details for each safety recall are on the pages that follow, in alphabetical order by car brand.
2017 Ford Edge
- Number of vehicles affected: 84
- Issue: The affected vehicles, which are equipped with the optional Panoramic Vista Roof, may have an improperly welded windshield header, reducing the vehicle's lateral structural integrity.
- Remedy: Ford will notify owners, and dealers will repair the windshield header free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin May 15, 2017. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332.
- Manufacturer recall number: 17C05
- NHTSA recall number: 17V205000
Various 2016 and 2017 Mercedes-Benz Vehicles
- Number of vehicles affected: 58,323
- Issue: The affected models include 2016 GLE300d 4Matic; E400 4Matic Coupe; GL63 AMG; GLE350; GLE350 4Matic; GLE350d 4Matic; GLE400 4Matic; GLE43 AMG Coupe 4Matic; GLE550e 4Matic; GLE63 AMG 4Matic; GLE63S AMG 4Matic and GLE63S AMG Coupe 4Matic; 2017 E300 4Matic; GLS63 AMG 4Matic; 2016-2017 GL350 4Matic BlueTec; GL450 4Matic; and GL550 4Matic. An electric power steering connector may be insufficiently sealed, allowing water to enter the control unit.
- Remedy: Mercedes-Benz will notify owners, and dealers will replace the connector and inspect the electric power steering rack, replacing the rack as necessary. These repairs will be performed free of charge to the vehicle owner.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin in May 2017. Owners may contact Mercedes-Benz customer service at 1-800-367-6372.
- NHTSA recall number: 17V241000
2017 Subaru Impreza
- Number of vehicles affected: 33,131
- Issue: Winter fuels may vaporize prematurely in the fuel line, resulting in a reduction in fuel pressure, possibly causing the engine to stall.
- Remedy: Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the engine control unit to turn the radiator cooling fan on at a lower temperature free of charge.
- Timing: The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-800-782-2738.
- Manufacturer recall number: WTP-75
- NHTSA recall number: 17V216000
2016 Tesla Model S; 2016 Tesla Model X
- Number of vehicles affected: 31,472
- Issue: The electric parking brake calipers have an internal gear that may be improperly manufactured, possibly resulting in the gear fracturing during parking brake application or release.
- Remedy: Tesla will notify owners, and service centers will replace the electric parking brake calipers free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin in April 2017. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752.
- Manufacturer recall number: SB-17-33-002
- NHTSA recall number: 17V260000