Recall Roundup: Mazda Recalls Older CX-7, CX-9, and Mazda 6 Vehicles over Air Bag Concerns
By Joseph Dobrian, August 22, 2017
During the past week, Mazda recalled a total of 79,402 light passenger vehicles to address an issue related to the air bags. The vehicles in question are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules used as original equipment or replacement equipment.
- Issue: In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger frontal air bag, these inflators may rupture due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling. The affected vehicles include CX-7, CX-9, and Mazda 6 vehicles from the 2012 model year that were sold, or ever registered, in the states of Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands, or "Zone A." Additionally, unless included in "Zone A" above, Mazda is recalling certain 2009 CX-7, CX-9, and Mazda 6 vehicles sold, or ever registered, in the states of Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia, or "Zone B." Additionally, unless included in "Zone A" or "Zone B" above, Mazda is recalling certain 2007-2008 CX-7 and CX-9 vehicles sold, or ever registered, in the states of Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
- Remedy: Mazda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front passenger side air bag inflator with an alternate inflator free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin August 15, 2017. Owners may contact Mazda customer service at 1-800-222-5500.
- Manufacturer recall number: 1317F. Note: This recall supersedes recall 17V-012.
- NHTSA recall number: 17V457000