Recall Roundup: Mazda Recalls 200K Vehicles, Mitsubishi 100K
During the past week, Mazda North American Operations (Mazda) recalled more than 200,000 light passenger vehicles from the 2007 through 2011 model years. Meanwhile, Mitsubishi Motors North America (Mitsubishi) recalled more than 100,000 Outlander SUVs from the 2007 through 2013 model years. General Motors (GM), American Honda Motor Co. (Honda), and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US (FCA US) also issued vehicle recalls.
Details for each safety recall follow, in alphabetical order by car brand.
Various 2014-2017 GM Vehicles
- Number of vehicles affected: 40,683
- Issue: GM is recalling certain model-year 2014-2016 Buick Lacrosse and Chevrolet Spark EV, Caprice PPV, and SS vehicles; 2014-2017 Buick Encore and Chevrolet Corvette, Silverado 1500, and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles; 2015-2016 Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Tahoe, Trax, Suburban, and Silverado 2500HD and 3500HD; GMC Yukon and Yukon XL; and 2015-2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD vehicles. While being previously remedied for recall 16V-651, the affected vehicles may not have received the complete software update necessary to remedy the recall condition. Without the update, certain driving conditions may cause the air bag sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) software to activate a diagnostic test. During this test, deployment of the frontal air bags and the seat belt pre-tensioners would not occur in the event of a crash.
- Remedy: GM will notify owners, and dealers will re-flash the SDM software. Vehicles that have had a previous air bag deployment will have the SDM replaced. These repairs will be performed free of charge to the vehicle owner.
- Timing: The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Buick customer service at 1-800-521-7300, Cadillac customer service at 1-800-458-8006, Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020, or GMC customer service at 1-800-462-8782.
- Manufacturer recall number: 17287
- NHTSA recall number: 17V437000
2017 Honda CR-V 2WD, AWD
- Number of vehicles affected: 24,127
- Issue: A fuel supply pipe may have been improperly manufactured, possibly resulting in the pipe disconnecting and leaking while driving.
- Remedy: Honda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel supply pipe free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin August 25, 2017. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-888-234-2138.
- Manufacturer recall number: KH1
- NHTSA recall number: 17V442000
2009-2011 Mazda 6
2007-2011 Mazda CX-7
2007-2011 Mazda CX-9
- Number of vehicles affected: 205,377
- Issue: These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules, and used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the front air bags, these inflators may rupture due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.
- Remedy: Mazda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the passenger frontal air bag inflator with an alternate inflator free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin July 24, 2017. Owners may contact Mazda customer service at 1-800-222-5500. Note: This recall supersedes recall 16V356 and all vehicles that were not remedied under that campaign are now covered by this one.
- Manufacturer recall number: 1317F
- NHTSA recall number: 17V429000
2007-2013 Mitsubishi Outlander
- Number of vehicles affected: 100,082
- Issue: Water may drop between the hood and the windshield and leak into the wiper motor breathing hole. The water may cause internal corrosion of the windshield wiper motor and the possible failure of the motor.
- Remedy: Mitsubishi will notify owners, and dealers will replace the wiper motor free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin July 28, 2017. Owners may contact Mitsubishi customer service at 1-888-648-7820.
- Manufacturer recall number: SR-17-003
- NHTSA recall number: 17V461000
2017 Ram 1500
- Number of vehicles affected: 4
- Issue: The fuel tanks in the affected vehicles may have a broken fuel tank control valve which might leak fuel if the vehicle were to become inverted.
- Remedy: FCA US will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel tanks free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin August 21, 2017. Owners may contact FCA customer service at 1-800-853-1403.
- Manufacturer recall number: T45
- NHTSA recall number: 17V434000