Recall Roundup: Mazda Air Bag Woes; VW Recalls CC, Passat for Fuel Pump Fix
During the past week, various automakers recalled a total of more than 605,000 light passenger vehicles, from the 2003 through 2018 model years. The largest of these recalls come from Mazda North American Operations (Mazda), which is recalling 308,992 vehicles from the 2003 through 2008 model years, and Volkswagen Group of America (Volkswagen), which is recalling 280,915 vehicles from the 2006 through 2016 model years.
Details for each safety recall follow, in alphabetical order by car brand.
2018 BMW 4 Series, M4 Convertible
- Number of vehicles affected: 67
- Issue: On the affected 2018 430i, 430i xDrive, 440i, 440i xDrive, and M4 convertible vehicles, the emergency locking retractors (ELR) within the front seat belt assemblies may have been produced with incompatible vehicle-sensitive locking mechanism housings.
- Remedy: BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, if necessary, replace the front seat belt assemblies free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin October 9, 2017. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
- NHTSA recall number: 17V507000
2018 Chevrolet Equinox
2017-2018 GMC Acadia
2018 GMC Terrain
- Number of vehicles affected: 2,905
- Issue: The right front intermediate driveshaft may fracture and separate while driving.
- Remedy: GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the right front intermediate drive shaft assembly free of charge.
- Timing: The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact GMC customer service at 1-800-462-8782 or Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020.
- Manufacturer recall number: 17329
- NHTSA recall number: 17V516000
2003-2008 Mazda 6
2004-2008 Mazda RX-8
- Number of vehicles affected: 308,992
- Issue: The affected vehicles are equipped with a dual-stage driver frontal air bag that may be susceptible to moisture intrusion and other factors, including manufacturing variability that, over time, could cause the inflator to rupture.
- Remedy: Mazda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the driver's frontal air bag inflator with an alternate inflator free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin September 1, 2017. Owners may contact Mazda customer service at 1-800-222-5500.
- Manufacturer recall number: 1417G, superseding recall 15V-382
- NHTSA recall number: 17V474000
2016-2017 Mercedes-AMG GLE43 Coupe
2017 Mercedes-AMG GLE43
- Number of vehicles affected: 12,322
- Issue: The engine control unit and transmission control unit software may have compatibility conflicts and cause the engine to shut down while the driver brakes to a stop, or accelerates following an ECO start.
- Remedy: Mercedes will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the engine and transmission control unit software free of charge.
- The recall is expected to begin in September 2017. Owners may contact Mercedes customer service at 1-877-496-3691.
- NHTSA recall number: 17V506000
2009-2016 Volkswagen CC
2006-2010 Volkswagen Passat, Passat Wagon
- Number of vehicles affected: 280,915
- Issue: Interruption of electrical power to the fuel pump control module may cause the fuel pump to fail.
- Remedy: Volkswagen will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump control module free of charge.
- Timing: Remedy parts are currently unavailable. Interim notices informing owners of the safety risk are expected to be mailed on October 13, 2017. Owners will receive a second notice when remedy parts become available. Owners may contact Volkswagen customer service at 1-800-893-5298.
- Manufacturer recall number: 20AE
- NHTSA recall number: 17V509000