Recall Roundup: GM Recalls Chevy Equinox, GMC Terrain SUVs; Toyota Motor, Mazda Also Announce Large Recalls
During the past week, various automakers issued recalls affecting just over 900,000 vehicles, dating back to the 2005 model year. The largest of these come from General Motors (GM), which is recalling 367,808 vehicles; Toyota Motor (337,449); and Mazda (190,102). Details for each safety recall are on the pages that follow, in alphabetical order by car brand.
2013 Chevrolet Equinox; 2013 GMC Terrain
- Number of vehicles affected: 367,808
- Issue: The ball joints in the windshield wiper module may corrode and wear over time, possibly resulting in one or both of the windshield wipers becoming inoperative.
- Remedy: The remedy for this recall campaign is still under development.
- Timing: The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020 or GMC customer service at 1-800-462-8782.
- Manufacturer recall number: 25302
- NHTSA recall number: 16V582000
2010 Lexus HS 250h; 2006-2011 Toyota RAV4
- Number of vehicles affected: 337,449
- Date of manufacture: October 31, 2005 through September 7, 2010
- Issue: The affected vehicles have rear suspension arms (rear tie rods) with adjusting lock nuts that may have been improperly tightened after servicing. As a result of being loose, the arm may have thread damage and may rust, possibly leading to the failure of the arm and an abrupt change in the vehicle's alignment. Failure of the rear tie rod could cause a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash. This recall supersedes recall 13V-383, in which some vehicles were only inspected, sealed, and did not have both arms replaced. The affected vehicles were previously recalled under 13V-383, but did not have both rear suspension arms replaced at that time. Those vehicles need to have both arms replaced as part of this recall remedy.
- Remedy: Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will replace both rear suspension arms and encapsulate the locknuts free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin September 30, 2016. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331.
- Manufacturer recall numbers: G0V and GLK
- NHTSA recall number: 16V596000
2007-2012 Mazda CX-7
- Number of vehicles affected: 190,102
- Date of manufacture: February 14, 2006 through May 9, 2012
- Issue: Water may enter the front suspension ball joint fittings. If the water is contaminated with salt, such as from driving on snowy roads that have been treated, the ball joint may corrode and separate from the lower control arm, resulting in a loss of steering control.
- Remedy: Mazda will notify owners, and dealers will replace both front lower control arms free of charge. Parts are not currently available.
- Timing: Mazda will send interim notices to owners beginning around October 10, 2016. Follow-up notices will be sent when remedy parts are available. As a priority, Mazda will first address all affected 2007-2008 vehicles as well as 2009-2011 vehicles currently registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia. The remaining vehicles will be addressed when parts are available. Owners may contact Mazda customer service at 1-800-222-5500.
- Manufacturer recall number: 9716H
- NHTSA recall number: 16V593000
2016-2017 Mini Clubman
- Number of vehicles affected: 7,810
- Date of manufacture: August 19, 2015 through July 14, 2016
- Issue: The side curtain air bags for the front-seat occupants may not deploy in the intended positions in the event of a crash, increasing risk of injury to the front-seat occupants.
- Remedy: BMW of North America will notify owners, and dealers will modify the driver and passenger side curtain air bag covers free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin September 12, 2016. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417 or email BMW at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.
- NHTSA recall number: 16V553000
2015 Ram 2500 & 3500
- Number of vehicles affected: 64
- Issue: The affected vehicles may have inadequate welds securing the front track bar frame brackets, possibly resulting in the bracket components separating from the frame. If the bracket components separate from the frame, the vehicle may have a reduced response to steering input, increasing the risk of a crash.
- Remedy: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US (FCA US) will notify owners, and dealers will weld on a new track bar frame bracket or replace the frame of the vehicle free of charge.
- Timing: The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact FCA US customer service at 1-800-853-1403.
- Manufacturer recall number: S58
- NHTSA recall number: 16V559000