Recall Roundup: GM, Ford Issue Major Recalls Over Air Bag, Door Latch Concerns
During the past week, Ford Motor Company (Ford) and General Motors (GM) issued recalls affecting a total of nearly 5.7 million vehicles. The GM recall affects 3.64 million vehicles from the 2015-2017 model years, while the Ford recall affects just over 2 million vehicles from the 2012-2015 model years. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US (FCA US) and Nissan North America (Nissan) also issued recalls. Details for each safety recall are on the pages that follow, in alphabetical order by car brand.
2016 Chrysler 200
- Number of vehicles affected: 191
- Date of manufacture: May 24, 2016 and May 25, 2016
- Issue: Multiple chassis fastener joints may not have been tightened to the proper torque specification. If the chassis fastener joints are improperly torqued they may loosen and fail or fall out, reducing steering and handling capability and increasing the risk of a crash.
- Remedy: FCA US has notified owners, and dealers will inspect the joints and tighten or replace the fasteners, as necessary, free of charge.
- Timing: The recall began on September 2, 2016. Owners may contact FCA US customer service at 1-800-853-1403.
- Manufacturer recall number: S59
- NHTSA recall number: 16V589000
2013-2015 Ford C-Max; 2013-2015 Ford Escape; 2012-2015 Ford Focus; 2015 Ford Mustang; 2014-2016 Ford Transit Connect; 2015 Lincoln MKC
- Number of vehicles affected: 2,046,297
- Issue: Ford is recalling certain model-year 2012-2015 Ford Focus; 2013-2015 Ford Escape and Ford C-Max; 2015 Lincoln MKC and Ford Mustang; and 2014-2016 Ford Transit Connect vehicles. A component within the door latches may break, preventing the doors from latching and/or leading the driver or a passenger to believe a door is securely closed when, in fact, it is not. A door that is not securely latched could open while the vehicle is in motion, increasing the risk of injury to a vehicle occupant.
- Remedy: Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the door latches with an improved part free of charge.
- Timing: Due to a limited parts supply, each owner will be sent an interim notification beginning October 3, 2016 and will receive a second notice when parts are available. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332.
- Manufacturer recall number: 16S30
- NHTSA recall number: 16V643000
Various 2015-2017 GM Vehicles
- Number of vehicles affected: 3,640,162
- Issue: GM is recalling certain model-year 2015-2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD and 3500 HD, Tahoe, Suburban, GMC Sierra 2500 HD and 3500 HD, GMC Yukon, GMC Yukon XL, Cadillac Escalade and Cadillac Escalade ESV vehicles; and 2014-2017 Chevrolet Corvette, Silverado 1500, Trax, Caprice Police Pursuit Vehicle, GMC Sierra 1500, Buick Encore; and 2014-2016 Buick Lacrosse, Chevrolet Spark EV, and SS vehicles. In the affected vehicles, certain driving conditions may cause the air bag sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) software to activate a diagnostic test. During this test, deployment of the frontal air bags and the seat belt pre-tensioners would not occur in the event of a crash.
- Remedy: GM will notify owners, and dealers will reflash the SDM software. Vehicles that have had a previous air bag deployment will have the SDM replaced. These repairs will be performed free of charge to the vehicle owner.
- Timing: The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Buick customer service at 1-800-521-7300, Cadillac customer service at 1-800-458-8006, Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020, or GMC customer service at 1-800-462-8782.
- Manufacturer recall number: 16007
- NHTSA recall number: 16V651000
2014-2016 Jeep Cherokee
- Number of vehicles affected: 1,824
- Date of manufacture: July 29, 2013 through February 5, 2016
- Issue: The seat fasteners on the first- or second-row seats may not have been tightened to the proper torque specification. Loose fasteners may allow the seats to move, increasing the risk of injury to the seat occupants in the event of a crash.
- Remedy: FCA US will notify owners, and dealers will replace the seats or seat sets free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin on September 23, 2016. Owners may contact FCA US customer service at 1-800-853-1403.
- Manufacturer recall number: S63
- NHTSA recall number: 16V590000
2016-2017 Nissan Maxima; 2015-2017 Nissan Murano; 2015-2016 Nissan Murano Hybrid
- Number of vehicles affected: 120,329
- Date of manufacture: August 22, 2014 through August 19, 2016
- Issue: The affected vehicles have anti-lock brake (ABS) actuator pumps that may allow brake fluid to leak onto an internal electrical circuit board. A brake fluid leak onto the circuit board may result in an electrical short, increasing the risk of a fire. Note: When brake fluid has leaked onto the circuit board, the ABS warning lamp will remain illuminated for more than 10 seconds after engine start up. If this occurs, owners are advised to park the vehicle outdoors away from other vehicles or structures and to not drive the vehicle.
- Remedy: Nissan will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the ABS actuator, replacing it as necessary, free of charge.
- Timing: The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Nissan customer service at 1-800-647-7261.
- NHTSA recall number: 16V636000