Recall Roundup: Ford Recalls 2015-2017 F-Series Pickups to Fix Rear-Seat Inflatable Seat Belts
During the past week, three automakers—Volkswagen Group of America (Volkswagen), Ford Motor Company (Ford), and Toyota Motor (Toyota)—recalled a total of just under 127,000 light passenger vehicles, from the 2015 through 2018 model years. The largest of these recalls comes from Ford, which is recalling 117,423 F-Series pickup trucks from the 2015 through 2017 model years.
Details for each safety recall follow, in alphabetical order by car brand.
2017-2018 Audi A3 Cabriolet, A3 Sedan
- Number of vehicles affected: 8,383
- Issue: The engine control unit (ECU) software may misinterpret the flywheel rotation on engine start-up as a "knocking" condition, and the adjusted air/fuel mixture may result in an engine stall.
- Remedy: Volkswagen will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the ECU software free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin September 29, 2017. Owners may contact Audi customer service at 1-800-253-2834.
- Manufacturer recall number: 24DF
- NHTSA recall number: 17V508000
2015-2017 Ford F-150
2017 Ford F-250
2017 Ford F-350
- Number of vehicles affected: 117,423
- Issue: The affected 2015-2017 F-150s, and 2017 F-250 and F-350 trucks equipped with a crew cab, have left rear inflatable seat belt buckle assemblies that may be inadequately attached to the mounting bracket.
- Remedy: Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the seat belt assembly, replacing the attaching rivet as necessary, free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin October 16, 2017. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332.
- Manufacturer recall number: 17C12
- NHTSA recall number: 17V526000
2017 Toyota Highlander, Highlander Hybrid
- Number of vehicles affected: 1,121
- Issue: The recall affects vehicles equipped with accessory roof rail crossbars. The fasteners for the roof rails may not be torqued properly.
- Remedy: Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and properly torque the fasteners free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin September 25, 2017. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-444-1074.
- Manufacturer recall number: 17R3
- NHTSA recall number: 17V520000