Recall Roundup: Automatic Transmission Issue Forces Chrysler Recall
During the past week, automakers recalled a total of 535,936 light vehicles, going back as far as the 2009 model year. The largest recall comes from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US (FCA US) and affects 412,981 Chrysler, Fiat, Jeep, and Ram vehicles from the 2014, 2015, and 2016 model years. Details for each safety recall are on the pages that follow, in alphabetical order by car brand.
2015 Chrysler 200; 2016 Fiat 500X; 2014-2015 Jeep Cherokee; 2015 Jeep Renegade; 2015 Ram ProMaster
- Number of vehicles affected: 412,981
- Issue: FCA US is recalling certain model-year 2014-2015 Jeep Cherokee; 2015 Chrysler 200, Jeep Renegade, Ram ProMaster; and 2016 Fiat 500X vehicles equipped with 9-speed automatic transmissions. The transmission sensor clusters may have insufficient crimps in the transmission wire harness, and as a result, the transmission may unexpectedly shift to neutral.
- Remedy: FCA US will notify owners, and dealers will update the transmission software to prevent the transmission from shifting into neutral due to a faulty crimp, free of charge. The remedy is currently unavailable.
- Timing: Interim notices were mailed to owners on August 24, 2016. Owners will receive a second notice when the remedy becomes available. Owners may contact FCA US customer service at 1-800-853-1403.
- Manufacturer recall number: S55
- NHTSA recall number: 16V529000
2013-2015 Ford Flex; 2013-2015 Ford Taurus; 2013-2015 Lincoln MKS; 2013-2015 Lincoln MKT
- Number of vehicles affected: 77,502
- Issue: In the affected vehicles, which feature a 3.5-liter GTDE EcoBoost engine, a component within the fuel pump electric module (PEM) may overheat, causing a loss of electrical power to the fuel pump. A loss of power to the fuel pump will cause the engine to stall or prevent the vehicle from starting.
- Remedy: Ford Motor Co. (Ford) will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the fuel PEM part number and replace the fuel PEM, as necessary, free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin September 12, 2016. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332.
- Manufacturer recall number: 16S31
- NHTSA recall number: 16V621000
2015 Hyundai Genesis
- Number of vehicles affected: 3,031
- Date of manufacture: February 1, 2015 through May 20, 2015
- Issue: The affected vehicles are equipped with a 7-in. TFT-LCD instrument cluster that may display an incorrect vehicle speed or may illuminate all of the warning lights or not illuminate a warning light that needs to be lit.
- Remedy: Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will update the instrument cluster software free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin on September 30, 2016. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-800-633-5151.
- Manufacturer recall number: 147
- NHTSA recall number: 16V575000
2009-2010 Mazda 6
- Number of vehicles affected: 41,918
- Date of manufacture: February 4, 2008 through December 3, 2009
- Issue: The protective coating may not have been properly applied to the air bag control unit (ACU) and, as a result, moisture may damage the unit, causing it to malfunction.
- Remedy: Mazda dealers will replace the ACU, free of charge, however parts are not currently available.
- Timing: Mazda will send interim notifications to owners beginning October 3, 2016, and will mail a second notice when remedy parts are available. Owners may contact Mazda customer service at 1-800-222-5500.
- Manufacturer recall number: 9816H
- NHTSA recall number: 16V594000
2017 Subaru Outback
- Number of vehicles affected: 99
- Date of manufacture: June 20, 2016 through June 23, 2016
- Issue: Improperly tightened attaching bolts for the front left and right brake calipers, wheel hubs, and the right stabilizer clamp. If any of the front brake caliper, wheel hub, or stabilizer clamp attaching bolts loosen or detach, the related components would also become loose and may detach, possibly making the vehicle unstable and reducing the braking capability.
- Remedy: Subaru has notified owners, and dealers will inspect the bolts for proper torque, and replace any loose bolts, free of charge.
- Timing: The recall began on August 8, 2016. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-800-782-2783.
- Manufacturer recall numbers: WTE-66
- NHTSA recall number: 16V576000
2010-2015 Toyota 4Runner
- Number of vehicles affected: 425
- Date of manufacture: September 3, 2009 through December 1, 2014
- Issue: The affected vehicles may be equipped with accessory exhaust tips installed by Southeast Toyota (SET) or SET dealers that may contact people and possibly burn them while they are standing behind the vehicle.
- Remedy: SET will notify owners, and dealers will install a redesigned exhaust tip that is smaller in diameter and is more recessed behind the bumper, free of charge.
- Timing: The recall is expected to begin September 15, 2016. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-866-405-4226.
- Manufacturer recall numbers: SET16D
- NHTSA recall number: 16V577000