New for 2014: Ram
Hot-selling light-duty pickup trucks are getting lots of attention, and it's not all being paid to completely redesigned models like the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado. Though it looks identical to its predecessor, the 2014 Ram 1500 breaks new ground with the debut of the segment's first available diesel engine, which is a V-6 boasting 420 lb.-ft. of torque and Ram-estimated fuel economy exceeding 25 mpg on the highway. The company claims the new EcoDiesel has a maximum towing capacity of 9,200 lbs.
Also making waves for 2014 is the new 6.4-liter Hemi V-8 engine. Offered exclusively on Ram Heavy Duty models, this motor delivers 410 horsepower and 429 lb.-ft. of torque. In addition to powertrain upgrades, the 2014 Ram Heavy Duty offers buyers the choice of a new link coil rear suspension or rear air suspension system, as well as a frame-integrated gooseneck/5th wheel trailer hitch package that includes a cargo-area camera intended to facilitate quick and easy hookups. Heavy Duty chassis cab models are upgraded with a stronger frame, revised front suspension, and greater capability.
In terms of vans, the Dodge Grand Caravan-based Ram Cargo Van is essentially unchanged, though it is now joined by a full-size hauler sourced from Fiat. The 2014 Ram ProMaster is available in a variety of heights and lengths, draws power from one of two engines, and, according to Ram, will deliver best-in-class fuel economy.
2014 Ram 1500
Visually, the 2014 Ram 1500 pickup truck looks identical to the 2013 model, but changes under the skin are extensive. Perhaps most significant is the debut of a new optional EcoDiesel V-6 engine that delivers 240 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque, all while delivering Ram-estimated fuel economy in the high 20s. In addition to the new power plant, the 1500's available Hemi V-8 has been upgraded with a slight bump in torque. The 4.7-liter V-8 engine has been dropped from the lineup.
Buyers have the choice of rear-wheel-drive (2WD) or 4-wheel-drive (4WD) capability, three cab styles, and nine trim levels.
- Optional V-6 diesel engine
- Improved fuel economy
- More torque from available 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 engine
- 4.7-liter V-8 engine discontinued
- Capless fuel filler
- Front park-assist sensors
- Updated electrical system
- Use of more environmentally friendly air conditioning refrigerant
- Blue Streak and Granite Crystal paint colors
2014 Ram 2500/3500 Heavy Duty
According to Ram, there was a void in its heavy-duty engine lineup between the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 and turbocharged 6.7-liter Cummins 6-cylinder diesel. That slot is now filled with a new 6.4-liter Hemi V-8 gas engine that delivers 410 horsepower and 429 lb.-ft. of torque. Engineers also upgraded the 2014 Ram Heavy Duty pickup with the choice of new rear link coil or air suspension systems, gooseneck and 5th wheel trailer hitch prep package, and a cargo-area camera designed to assist with hookup, and upgraded alternators.
The 2014 Ram Heavy Duty pickup is offered in regular, crew, and mega cab body styles fitted to a 2WD or 4WD chassis.
- Available 6.4-liter Hemi V-8 engine
- Available rear link coil and air suspension systems
- Integrated gooseneck trailer hitch capability
- Available 440 amps from dual alternators
- Updated wheel designs
- Optional rear load floor (crew cab models)
- Cargo-area camera
2014 3500/4500/5500 Chassis Cabs
Like the Heavy Duty pickup, the 2014 Ram chassis cab models are now available with the all-new 6.4-liter Hemi V-8 engine. These workhorses have also been upgraded with a stronger frame, increased capability, and an electronic front-axle disconnect serving to improve fuel efficiency.
- Available 6.4-liter Hemi V-8 engine
- Upgraded frame
- Upgraded front suspension (3500)
- Increased front gross axle weight ratings (GAWR) and gross vehicle weight ratings (GVWR)
- Available front-axle disconnect (3500)
- 74-gallon fuel capacity
- Updated UConnect infotainment system
2014 Ram Cargo Van
The Ram Cargo Van is the commercial, 2-passenger version of the Dodge Grand Caravan. This front-wheel-drive (FWD) utility vehicle is available in one trim level, features a 283-horsepower V-6 engine, offers 144.4 cu. ft. of cargo space behind the seats, tows up to 3,600 lbs., and can accommodate a 1,800-lb. payload. For 2014, a new fuel economizer mode has been added to the 6-speed automatic transmission.
- Fuel economizer mode for the transmission
2014 Ram ProMaster
Ram and Ford are making 2014 the year of the large van revival with debuts of the all-new Ford Transit and the Ram ProMaster. The latter is a product of Ram's relationship with Fiat, which has offered the Ducato--on which the ProMaster is based--in international markets for several years. Unusual with its combination of size and FWD architecture, the 2014 Ram ProMaster is available with a V-6 or 4-cylinder diesel engine, two roof heights, three wheelbases, four body lengths, and a payload exceeding 2.5 tons. Buyers can opt for a 1500, 2500, or 3500 series platform. Passenger models, with multiple rows of seats, will not be available from the factory, though Ram dealers will work with aftermarket upfitters at a buyer's request.
- All-new FWD full-size van
- Not available as a passenger van from the factory
- Based on Fiat Ducato sold in international markets
- Available 3.0-liter 4-cylinder diesel engine
- Available 280-horsepower V-6 engine
- Two optional roof heights
- Three available wheelbases
- Four body lengths (also available as a chassis cab or cutaway)
- 5,100-lb. towing capacity
- 5,145-lb. payload capacity
- Ram-estimated best-in-class fuel economy