5 Fast Facts About the 2013 Lexus LS
1. Lexus makes changes to the 2013 LS designed to make the car more fun to drive. In addition to increased body rigidity, the new LS benefits from suspension, steering, and braking system upgrades. According to Lexus, new frequency-dependent shock absorbers improve pitch and roll control, making the vehicle corner with a flatter stance. Steering improvements are claimed to provide greater accuracy and turn-in response, while the braking system is recalibrated to deliver better pedal feel and speedier response.
2. Lexus offers a new F Sport Package for the standard-wheelbase LS 460 models. The F Sport Package is equipped with 19-forged aluminum wheels, performance brakes, a sport-tuned and lowered air suspension, variable gear ratio steering, paddle shifters and downshift rev matching for the transmission, and, for rear-drive models, a limited-slip rear differential. Inside, the F Sport model gets sport-bolstered front seats, a black Alcantara headliner, special door scuff plates, and aluminum cabin trim including the pedals.
3. The Lexus LS 600h L model returns for 2013, a gas-electric hybrid model that pairs a 5.0-liter V-8 engine with two electric assist motors and lithium-ion batteries. Lexus says this powertrain delivers a combined 438 horsepower and can accelerate the extended-length luxury sedan to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds while returning 20 mpg in combined driving. An ecologically friendly Bamboo interior wood is available exclusively for this model.
4. Highlights of the 2013 Lexus LS model's cabin include additional sound insulation, LED fade-to-black interior lighting, a new 12.3-inch high-resolution in-dash display screen and next-generation Remote Touch controller, and redesigned seats. Offered as an option, the new Lexus Climate Concierge system offers 4-zone climate control, including for the seats and the steering wheel. Lexus also provides an optional Ottoman Seating Package that includes Shiatsu massage and a rear-seat entertainment system, as well as a new Shimamoku (striped wood) trim that the automaker claims takes 38 days to manufacture.
5. Every 2013 Lexus LS is equipped with Lexus Enform automatic collision notification services, rain-sensing wipers, adaptive headlights, parking assist sensors, and a reversing camera. Safety-related options include rear-seat side-impact air bags, automatic high-beam headlights, an adaptive cruise control system, a blind spot information system, a rear cross-traffic monitoring system, a lane departure warning system, and a lane keeping assist system. Additionally, Lexus offers an Advanced Pre-Collision Safety system with Driver Assist and Collision Avoidance technologies. This new system helps to avoid or mitigate collisions at a range of vehicle speeds, and when the LS is traveling at less than 24 mph, is designed to bring the vehicle to a complete stop to avoid an impact with another vehicle or a pedestrian.