5 Fast Facts: 2017 Volvo S90
The S90 is Volvo’s new premium 4-door, 5-seat flagship sedan. It features Volvo’s new Scalable Product Architecture (SPA), an advanced modular product platform that will underpin all new Volvo vehicles in the 90 and 60 Series. Key features of the 2017 S90 include the iconic “Thor’s Hammer” LED headlight design, the new grille and Volvo Iron Mark, and the expressive use of the Volvo word mark on the rear. In the cabin, the Volvo S90 takes some design cues from the XC90 model, adding new details to the dashboard and instrument panel, including new air blades that stand vertically on each side of the Sensus user interface.
- Volvo’s new connectivity offering, Sensus, includes an intuitive touchscreen interface that combines car functions, navigation, connected services, and in-car entertainment applications such as Spotify, Pandora, Baidu, or TuneIn.
- Three engines are available, including a conventional 240-hp 4-cylinder gasoline engine, a supercharged/turbocharged version of that engine that generates more than 300 hp, and a plug-in hybrid mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission. As an option, an all-wheel-drive (AWD) system can send up to half of the engine’s power to the S90’s rear wheels.
- Volvo’s City Safety Technology, standard on all Volvo models, combines automatic braking functionality and collision avoidance systems to cover a range of potential accident scenarios and help keep driver and passengers safe. City Safety’s functionality is further extended in the S90 with Large Animal Detection and an auto-steer functionality called Run Off Road Mitigation.
- Volvo’s IntelliSafe Assist technology is standard in the 2017 S90. This includes Adaptive Cruise Control and Distance Alert and the advanced semi-autonomous drive feature, Pilot Assist, which gives gentle steering input to keep the car properly aligned within lane markings up to motorway speeds of around 80 mph.
- IntelliSafe Surround package adds a blind-spot warning system with rear cross-traffic alert and a rear-collision warning.