5 Fast Facts: 2016 Volvo XC90
Volvo’s XC90 is redesigned for 2016. The all-wheel-drive (AWD) midsize luxury SUV has been singled out for its real-wood and leather interior that takes cues from Sweden’s famous furniture designers. Based on Volvo’s new Scalable Product Architecture (SPA), the second-generation 7-seat XC90 boasts an expanded range of safety systems and is available with a potent plug-in hybrid powertrain.
If you’re considering a 3-row luxury SUV, here are 5 fast facts about Volvo’s well-appointed and technology-laden redone crossover:
1) The XC90 is powered by a Drive-E 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder turbocharged and supercharged engine that produces 316 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque matched with an 8-speed automatic. Also available is a new T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid powertrain, which generates 400 horsepower and is EPA-rated at 53 MPGe.
2) Ergonomic elegance describes next-generation leather seats in the cabin. The instrument panel includes a 9.3-in. touch-screen display that eliminates buttons and switches. An infotainment center incorporates driving/vehicle data plus Internet radio, navigation, music streaming, and pairing with smartphones.
3) Three trim levels include popular Momentum for basic luxury. Inscription features upscale amenities, and R-Design adds sporty touches. A fourth “ultra-luxury” Excellence variant adds a hand-made crystal shifter, 4 reclining seats instead of 7, a fridge, glass holders, plus a 20-speaker Bowers & Wilkins audio system.
4) Volvo’s vision for safety is to ensure that by 2020 no person riding in a Volvo vehicle will be seriously injured or killed. The Intellisafe suite of advanced safety technologies in the XC90 includes semi-autonomous Pilot Assist and adaptive cruise control. In latest tests, the 2016 Volvo XC90 received a “Top Safety Pick+” rating for crash protection from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
5) The XC90 is roomy, with 85.7 cu. ft. of interior space and one of the largest cargo areas among premium midsize SUVs. It comes with a hands-free liftgate and optional air springs that adjust the height of the liftgate.