5 Fast Facts: 2016 Volkswagen Passat
Volkswagen makes the Passat midsize sedan in Chattanooga, TN. Refreshed for 2016, the 5-seat car has styling updates and new advanced safety technology including a standard rearview camera and better infotainment technology with smartphone connectivity for Apple and Android products.
Here are five fast facts about the 2016 Volkswagen Passat:
1) New front and rear styling with revamped headlights and taillights and a revamped cockpit with more amenities give this model perks beyond its German heritage. On the inside, the cabin’s instrument cluster, center stack, and steering wheel have been revised. Leather upholstery is now available on upper trim levels.
2) The 2016 Passat is available in three model series: 1.8T, V6, and the new sporty R-Line. The 1.8T is offered in five trims (S, SE, SE w/Technology, SEL, and SEL Premium), while the Passat V6 is available in the SEL Premium trim. The new R-Line has sporty touches and can be upgraded to the R-Line with Comfort package.
3) Standard power comes from a turbocharged, 1.8-liter 4-cylinder engine that produces 170 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. of torque with a 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission that averages 38 mpg on the highway. The 3.6-liter V-6 that makes 280 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. of torque is matched with a 6-speed dual-clutch automatic for quicker shifting in the V6 trim, while the Passat R-Line is equipped with the standard 1.8-liter engine. A TDI diesel engine option is on hold for now.
4) Volkswagen touts its new infotainment system touch-screen technology that is featured in its 2016 Passat. VW Car-Net App Connect allows access to Apple and Android smartphones and MirrorLink Maps, messaging, and music.
5) Seven advanced safety technologies are available for this family sedan, including forward-collision warning, blind-spot monitor, autonomous braking, and adaptive cruise control. Park-assist systems also are optional.