5 Fast Facts: 2016 Toyota Tacoma
The Tacoma midsize pickup is redesigned for 2016 with a wider, taller, more muscular stance, chiseled front end, and bolder grille, according to Toyota. The new Tacoma rides on a stronger steel frame, can be powered by a new V-6 engine, and offers extensive off-road capability.
Here are five fast facts about the 2016 Toyota Tacoma to help with truck shopping research:
1) The 2016 Tacoma is equipped with a 2.7-liter 4-cylinder engine that produces 159 horsepower and 180 lb.-ft. of torque. The EPA rates combined city/highway fuel economy at 21 mpg for a 4x2 truck with automatic transmission. For extra performance, a higher-tech, 3.5-liter V-6 motor with 42 more horsepower than the past engine is available. It generates 278 horsepower and 265 lb.-ft. of torque. Both engines partner with a 6-speed automatic transmission, but manuals are available.
2) When the new Tacoma is equipped with the V6 Tow package, it pulls up to 6,800 lbs. This year, the Tacoma offers an optional tri-fold hard tonneau cover for securing gear. Consumers can select from eight exterior paint colors. To make the Tacoma more personal, nine optional utility, convenience, appearance, technology, and premium packages are offered.
3) Two cabs with two pickup bed lengths include extended Access Cab and 4-door Double Cab, in 4x2 and 4x4 configurations. Five trim levels include SR, SR5, TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, and Platinum. Both TRD variants are inspired by Toyota Racing’s desert off-road performance experience.
4) The Tacoma’s cabin features a sport truck theme. Different fabric, leather, and accents are offered with various trims. Other options include Qi wireless charging, power tilt moonroof, dual-zone climate control, and several advanced driver safety systems.
5) All 2016 Tacoma trucks come with Toyota’s Entune audio system, which features a 6.1-in. touch-screen display, AM/FM CD player, 6 speakers, audio jacks, MP3 playback capability, USB ports, hands-free phone connectivity, and an integrated reversing camera. Audiophile systems are available on upscale trims.