5 Fast Facts: 2016 Toyota Prius
Toyota’s fuel-efficient Prius was introduced nearly 20 years ago and remains the world’s best-selling, mass-market, gasoline-electric hybrid vehicle. For the 2016 model year, the Toyota Prius is completely redone—from platform and powerplant to edgy, even rakish styling. In addition to offering what Toyota claims is a better driving experience, the Prius remains a gas sipper. Estimated fuel economy averages 52 mpg in combined city/highway driving. New Eco variants may average 56 mpg in combined driving, thanks to lighter weight and what the automaker describes as “optimized” aerodynamics.
Below are five fast facts about the redesigned 2016 Toyota Prius:
1) Toyota calls its fourth-generation hybrid compact car the “disrupter” with a sharper, chiseled, longer, lower and wider stance than prior Prius models. The 2016 Prius is built on Toyota’s new global architecture with double-wishbone rear suspension.
2) The 2016 Prius comes in six trim levels, starting with the basic Prius Two followed by Two Eco, Three, Three Touring, Four, and Four Touring that comes with all convenience, technology, fuel economy, and driving dynamics features that the automaker offers.
3) The latest hybrid system includes a 1.8-liter, 4-cylinder gasoline engine with two motor/generators teamed with an electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (eCVT) delivering 121 total horsepower. A lighter Lithium-ion hybrid battery replaces the nickel-metal hydride pack in most trims. Shift-by-wire technology allows the driver to choose between Normal and Power driving modes.
4) The Prius’ new interior features a wrap-around dash design, sculpted, hugging seats, and what Toyota claims is user-friendly controls. Toyota’s Entune multimedia system is standard, and different trims offer enhanced connectivity, apps, and integrated audio and navigation.
5) Toyota offers what it describes as a premium ownership experience that includes 3 years of free fuel, 24-hour call support, Toyota Safety Connect with roadside assistance, no-cost maintenance schedule, and 8-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty. Toyota’s Safety Sense advanced driver-assistance system also is available for the Prius.