5 Fast Facts: 2016 Toyota 4Runner
Toyota’s 4Runner midsize SUV is a body-on-frame SUV that continues to be popular among the U.S. car-buying public, in spite of the wave of new crossovers that are constantly being introduced to the market. A redesign of what Toyota calls “the Sherpa of SUVs” is expected for the 2017 model year.
In the meantime, here are five fast facts about the 2016 Toyota 4Runner:
1) The 4Runner offers a choice of 2-wheel drive (2WD), part-time and full-time 4-wheel drive (4WD), and comes with a standard 270-horsepower, 4.0-liter V-6 engine that makes 278 lb.-ft. of torque when teamed with a 5-speed automatic transmission. Trim levels offered are SR5, SR5 Premium, Trail, Trail Premium, Limited, and the ultimate off-road TRD Pro Series.
2) All 2016 4Runners come equipped with projector-beam headlights and LED rear combination lamps and can tow a trailer weighing up to 5,000 lbs. All 4Runners come with a full-size spare tire—particularly handy if you experience a tire issue off-pavement. When the SUV’s second-row seating is folded flat, the 4Runner’s cargo space expands to 89.7 cu. ft.
3) The TRD Pro Series trim is available in a new color for 2016—Quicksand—and is ready to hit the trail with TRD front springs, Bilstein high-performance shocks, Nitto Terra Grappler tires, and a front skid plate. It rides on 17-in. black alloy wheels and features a unique front grille, black bumper accents, and badges. Trail and TRD Pro Series trims offer higher ground clearance and available suspension upgrades.
4) Toyota’s latest-generation 2.5 release Entune multimedia system is standard in all 2016 4Runners and includes more functionality such as Siri Eyes Free mode. Entune Audio Plus with navigation accesses GPS through connected smartphones in SR5 and Trail trims.
5) Toyota’s Star Safety System with stability and traction control and smart brake-assist technology is standard on the 4Runner. Eight air bags protect driver and front passenger and second- and third-row occupants (the 4Runner seats up to 7). The Safety Connect system adds extra collision, stolen-vehicle, and roadside-assistance communication in the Limited.