5 Fast Facts: 2016 Ram 3500
Ram has upped the towing capacity and payload for the 2016 Ram 3500HD, the heaviest-duty version of its stable of pickup trucks. The optional diesel engine promises a best-in-class 900 lb.-ft. of torque.
Here are some other facts worth knowing about the 2016 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty pickup:
1) The 2016 Ram 3500 now offers 31,210 lbs. of SAE J2807-spec. towing capacity, when properly equipped, which Ram says exceeds the closest competitor by more than 2 tons. The 3500 also maintains its best-in-class payload of 7,390 lbs. with the 6.4-liter Hemi V-8 engine.
2) Standard engine on the 2016 Ram 3500 is a 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 with variable valve timing that delivers 383 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque. It features aluminum cylinder heads with spherical combustion chambers for improved airflow, Ram says. The optional 6.4-liter Hemi V-8 engine with Fuel Saver Technology delivers 410 horsepower and 429 lb.-ft. of torque.
3) Ram Engineering and Cummins have developed new fuel-delivery and turbo-boost calibrations for the available 6.7-liter diesel engine that produces 385 horsepower and an additional 35 lb.-ft. of torque, now topping out at 900 lb.-ft.
4) The diesel engine incorporates a smart exhaust engine-braking technology to help control the descent of a vehicle on a downward slope, maintaining smooth, less aggressive braking while helping to provide stability and reduced wear on the disc brakes, Ram says. It is especially handy when hauling heavy loads.
5) An available RamBox cargo-management system is a lit, secure, durable, and drainable storage system incorporated into the side rails of the truck bed. The available AllSecure remote security system allows the owner to lock and unlock the cargo box (and doors and windows) with the push of a button. This system also includes a cargo bed extender/divider, cargo bed rails with four adjustable tie-down cleats, and new cargo box lighting.