5 Fast Facts: 2016 Land Rover LR4
The Land Rover LR4 is a boxy, tall, midsize premium SUV that will likely be replaced by Land Rover’s new 2017 Discovery. The LR4 remains the most traditional SUV in Land Rover’s stable with a luxury interior that can seat at least 5. This body-on-frame SUV was last redesigned for 2011.
On the pages that follow are five fast facts about the 2016 Land Rover Discovery:
1) Power for the LR4 comes from a supercharged, 3.0-liter V-6 engine that makes 340 horsepower and 332 lb.-ft. of torque when partnered with an 8-speed automatic transmission. Four-wheel drive (4WD) is standard. The LR4 averages 15 mpg in the city and 19 mpg on the highway, Land Rover claims.
2) Trim levels include the base LR4 with audio and infotainment systems featuring a new 7-in. touch screen and 19-in. alloy wheels. The LR4 HSE Silver Edition adds Comfort and Vision Assist packages with safety systems such as a surround camera and blind-spot monitoring, in addition to a higher-end 17-speaker sound system. The LR4 Landmark Edition (HSE Lux) is loaded with many features plus heated seats and steering wheel, 20-in. wheels, extended silver roof rails, premium Windsor leather upholstery, center cooler box, and mood lighting.
3) The LR4’s cabin features rich wood veneers, leather upholstery, and a layout that can be configured for 5 or 7 (with a third row for children). New exterior paint colors and interior improvements are added this year.
4) The adjustable air suspension provides a more comfortable ride, Land Rover says, yet the LR4 is a very capable off-road SUV; it can be raised more than 10 inches from the ground to handle tough terrain and to ease loading. Gradient Acceleration Control helps with steep hill descents and the LR4 can go through water depths more than 2 feet, according to Land Rover. Terrain Response is standard and allows the LR4 to manage snow, mud, or sand. Two off-road setups are available.
5) Option packages for the LR4 start with the 7-seat Comfort and Vision Assist advanced driver-assistance system packages and include the Climate Control package and a Black Design package with all-black grille and exterior trim components.