5 Fast Facts: 2016 Kia Sorento
The redesigned 2016 Kia Sorento midsize SUV has a longer wheelbase and stiffer body with stronger shoulders and longer hood than its predecessor. A new turbocharged 2.0-liter engine is available as are more high-tech features. Built in the United States, the Sorento is Kia’s second best-selling model.
Here are five fast facts about the 5-passenger 2016 Kia Sorento:
1) The Sorento is available in five trim levels: L, LX, EX, SX, and SXL or Limited, and 2- and 3-row configurations. The upscale SX and Limited include heated adjustable seats and steering wheel, keyless ignition, and a power liftgate. The Limited comes with leather interior and advanced safety systems. Four new alloy wheel designs are available. Overall cargo volume expands to 74 cu. ft. with the second- and third-row seats folded.
2) The most fuel-efficient version of the Sorento is the front-wheel-drive (FWD) 4-cylinder model, which is EPA-rated at 21 mpg city and 29 mpg highway. All-wheel-Drive (AWD) variants are less efficient.
3) A new turbocharged, 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine makes 240 horsepower and is standard on the 2-row EX and Limited. The base L is powered by a 2.4-liter inline-4 that delivers 185 horsepower, while a 3.0-liter V-6 that produces 290 horsepower is optional. All are matched with a 6-speed automatic transmission.
4) A premium 630-watt, 12-speaker Infinity audiophile system with 11-channel amplifier is available on upper trims. The Sorento’s UVO infotainment system can access new services such as speed and curfew alert. More convenience technologies offered include Siri Eyes Free and Google Local search.
5) The 2016 Kia Sorento received a “Top Safety Pick” designation from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and highest-possible 5-star safety rating from the federal government. Electronic stability and traction control, ABS, brake assist, and hill-start-assist systems are standard. Forward-collision warning, smart cruise control, blind-spot detection, rear cross-traffic alert, and a full-view camera are available.