5 Fast Facts: 2016 GMC Sierra
By Joseph Dobrian, May 29, 2016
New and/or improved features on the 2016 Sierra 1500 include new headlights with GMC signature LED lighting on all models; HID projector-beam headlights with LED signature standard on base, SLE, and SLT trims; thin-profile LED foglights standard on SLT, All Terrain and Sierra Denali trims; high-performance LED headlights with LED signature standard on Sierra Denali and available on SLT; new grille design with specific appearance for base model, Elevation, SLE, SLT, All Terrain, and Sierra Denali; LED taillights standard on SLT, All Terrain and Sierra Denali.
- Lane Keep Assist and IntelliBeam headlamp control have been added to the Driver Alert Package that’s available on SLT and Sierra Denali models. Additionally, new power-articulating assist steps are available on Sierra Denali. Other new technologies include phone integration via GMC IntelliLink.
- Additional new and revised features for 2016 include Hydra-Matic 8L90 8-speed automatic transmission, now available with the 5.3-liter V-8 engine on SLT and Sierra Denali; wireless phone charging included on all models equipped with front bucket seats; available remote locking tailgate; new, available 20-in. chrome-clade aluminum wheel design.
- New exterior colors include Crimson Red Tintcoat, Cardinal Red, Mahogany Metallic, and White Frost Tintcoat.
- Standard engine is an EcoTec3 4.3-liter V-6 rated at 285 hp and 305 lb.-ft. of torque; available are a 5.3-liter V-8 rated at 355 hp and 383 lb.-ft. of torque, and the 6.2-liter V-8 rated at 420 hp and 460 lb.-ft. of torque. Maximum payload is 2,260 lbs. with the NHT max trailering package; maximum trailering rating, with that package, is 12,000 lbs.
- NHT max trailering package features a 9.76-in. rear axle, heavy-duty rear springs, unique shock tuning, enhanced cooling and an integrated trailer brake controller to optimize capability and comfort when trailering. Sierra All-Terrain package is available on various 4WD models and trims.