5 Fast Facts: 2016 Ford Mustang
After the classic pony car was redesigned in 2015 with sleeker styling, the 2016 Ford Mustang adds heritage option packages for higher-end trim levels that include racing stripes and a painted black roof. The sixth-generation Mustang is equipped with the latest Ford Sync 3 system for enhanced connectivity. A throw-back feature from the 1967 Mustang is added to the GT: turn signals mounted on the hood vents. Also, custom Shelby GT350 and GT350R race car variants debut.
Five fast facts about the 2016 Mustang may help you find your sporty car:
1) Independent suspension is standard on Ford’s sport coupe and convertible with four main trim levels: V6, EcoBoost Premium, EcoBoost GT, and GT Premium.
2) Engines start with the base V-6’s 3.7-liter unit that produces 300 horsepower. A turbocharged, 2.3-liter, EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine makes 310 horsepower and can average 32 mpg, according to the EPA. The sporty Mustang GT is equipped with a rumbling 5.0-liter V-8 that puts out 435 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque. Match these with a manual 6-speed or optional 6-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddles.
3) New option packages include a retro California Special package for the GT Premium with black aluminum 19-in. wheels, hood and side stripes, leather and suede inserts, grille with 3-bar pony logo, and optional black-painted roof.
4) The Mustang EcoBoost Premium Pony package offers 19-in. polished aluminum wheels, 3-bar pony grille, stripes, and chrome window surrounds, while a Performance package for Mustang GT convertibles includes stiffer structural bracing, sport tuning, Brembo brakes, and ebony wheels.
5) Ford’s next-generation Sync 3 system replaces MyFordTouch as part of the Premium package. Ford claims it has a more user-friendly interface and improved voice command. Standard safety features include more air bags, rearview camera, and traction/stability control. A rear park-assist sensor is available.
- 2016 Ford Mustang Overview
- Ford Car, Truck & SUV Quality, Dependability & Performance Ratings
- 2016 Ford Cars Buyer's Guide