5 Fast Facts: 2016 Fiat 500 Abarth
The “small but wicked” Abarth performance version of the iconic Italian 500 compact is available as a 4-passenger hardtop or convertible (Cabrio). The 2016 Fiat 500 Abarth and Abarth Cabrio now feature a Uconnect 5.0 system with 5-in. touch-screen radio, Bluetooth connectivity, and integrated voice command. New exterior paint colors for 2016 include Grigio Cenre (light gray), Rhino (dark gray), Celeste Blue (light blue), and Giallo Moderna Perla (Modern Pearl Yellow).
Here are five more facts about the 2016 Fiat 500 Abarth:
1) A specially tuned 6-speed automatic transmission is available (a manual transmission is standard), and works with a turbocharged and twin-intercooled, 1.4-liter MultiAir engine that makes up to 164 horsepower and 183 lb.-ft. of torque.
2) Power is largely due to the engine’s single turbocharger, which operates off engine exhaust and utilizes energy that would normally be wasted through the tailpipe. The induction system includes two intercoolers located behind the driver and passenger side air inlets of the Abarth-styled front fascia. Reducing heat provides a cooler, denser air charge that helps increase potential for more power.
3) The Abarth’s automatic transmission has been reinforced with more clutch plates and a more robust heat treatment to allow for higher torque capability, according to Fiat. The Sport mode calibration allows for a more engaged driving experience with special features, such as fuel-cut upshifts, rev-matching downshifts, brake-assist downshifts, corner gear hold, fast-off gear hold, and a more aggressive pedal map. Abarth models feature a MacPherson suspension design with stiffer front spring rates and lower ride height for improved handling and minimal body roll, Fiat says.
4) Standard on the Fiat 500 Abarth and Abarth Cabrio are 16 x 6.5-in. cast-aluminum wheels. Larger and wider wheels are available. An Abarth-specific cloth-top-mounted spoiler extends the roofline and improves the Abarth Cabrio’s aerodynamic behavior by creating additional downforce.
5) Both models feature 7 standard air bags, including driver and front-passenger advanced multi-stage air bags, driver’s knee air bag, full-length side curtain air bags, and standard seat-mounted side pelvic-thorax air bags.