5 Fast Facts: 2016 Dodge Challenger
The 2016 Dodge Challenger is a modern interpretation of the classic 2-door 1971 muscle car, with new technology plus legendary power. There are few changes for 2016 since the 5-seat sporty coupe was refreshed for 2015. A differentiator is a choice of three burly Hemi V-8s—including a supercharged 6.2-liter engine that generates 707 horsepower. Dodge claims the Challenger SRT Hellcat is the most powerful muscle car ever produced.
Here are five fast facts to know about the Challenger before shopping for a sporty car:
1) Performance means 0-60 mph in just over 3 seconds at a possible 199 mph, according to Dodge. The Challenger comes with a choice of four engines partnered with an 8-speed automatic transmission, available with paddle shifters. The base Challenger SXT is equipped with a 3.6-liter V-6 that produces 305 horsepower, averaging an EPA-estimated 30 mpg on the highway.
2) Three Hemi V-8 engines are available: a 5.7-liter that generates 372 horsepower; a 6.4-liter unit that makes 485 horsepower; and the 6.2-liter supercharged motor that kicks out 707 horsepower. Dodge also offers a 6-speed manual for V-8-powered Challengers.
3) The 2016 Challenger comes in 10 trim levels, from base SXT to monster SRT Hellcat, with styling cues from the car’s heritage. A Blacktop Appearance package with stripes and Plum Crazy paint is new for SRT Hellcats this year. Retro Go Mango paint is new for all trim levels. Dodge also offers a range of interior colors and material choices and 12 wheel designs.
4) Technology abounds in the 2016 Challenger. Retro-style tach and speedometer comingle with standard 5.0-in. or available 8.4-in. touch-screen display. Bluetooth, USB, and an auxiliary port are standard along with a power 6-way driver’s seat, dual climate control, and remote start.
5) More than 70 driver-assistance and safety features are available, including forward-collision warning, adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitor, and rear cross-traffic detection. Convenience, Leather Interior, Super Sport, and Audio equipment packages also are available for personalization.