5 Fast Facts: 2016 Chevrolet Spark
By Joseph Dobrian, May 27, 2016
Chevrolet’s min-car has been completely redesigned for 2016, to offer greater efficiency, safety and connectivity. The new Spark has a sleeker appearance, thanks to a slightly longer wheelbase and an overall height that’s about 1.6 in. lower than the previous model. The lower profile reduces aerodynamic drag to help improve efficiency, but interior changes maintain the Spark’s generous headroom. This year’s Spark is built on an all-new, more robust architecture for a more sophisticated driving experience, with greater feelings of control and refinement and a quieter ride, the maker says. Three new colors—Toasted Marshmallow, Kalamata and Splash—are available, depending on the market.
- 2016 Spark features an all-new 1.4-liter, 98-hp engine: a power increase of 16% over the previous model. It features an aluminum cylinder block and head; the head incorporates an integrated exhaust manifold, which further reduces weight. A 5-speed manual transmission is standard and a dual-range continuously variable transmission is available.
- Blind Spot Alert, Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Alert, and other safety features are available
- Interior features an all-new instrument panel design, with an advanced LCD display, and featuring a prominent center stack for the infotainment and climate system controls. The Spark’s signature color-matched instrument panel décors have been updated, and the previously round air outlets are now trapezoidal. The all-new MyLink radio features a capacitive-touch color display, with icon-based interface, which allows users to swipe, pinch and perform other similar gestures for quick, easy operation.
- OnStar with 4G LTE built-in Wi-Fi hotspot is available. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on. Many of the connectivity and entertainment functions are operable through voice commands, via a button on the steering wheel.
- Ten standard air bags include driver/front passenger knee air bags, roof rail side air bags and seat-mounted thorax/pelvic air bags. A rollover sensing and protection system is also offered.