5 Fast Facts: 2016 Chevrolet Malibu
The Chevy Malibu midsize sedan has been completely redesigned for 2016. The new model features a longer wheelbase and is almost 300 lbs. lighter than the 2015 model. The new Malibu is available in L, LS, LT, and Premier trims, as well as a Malibu Hybrid model that borrows its technology from the Chevrolet Volt. The hybrid system provides a manufacturer-estimated 48 mpg city/45 mpg highway/47 mpg combined.
Here are five more facts about the 2016 Chevrolet Malibu:
1) An all-new Teen Driver feature allows parents to view their kids’ driving statistics. Teen Driver supports safe-driving habits by muting the audio or any device paired with the vehicle when front-seat occupants aren’t wearing their safety belts. Teen Driver also provides audible and visual warnings when the vehicle is traveling over predetermined speeds. The system includes a built-in component that lets parents view on a display how their teenager drove the vehicle. Maximum speed reached, distance driven, and number of times active safety features were engaged are among the parameters that can be confirmed.
2) A new Ecotec 1.5-liter turbo engine generates 163 horsepower. The standard engine delivers 160 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. of torque. A 2.0-liter turbocharged engine is available, offering an estimated 250 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. of torque.
3) The new Malibu’s exterior features slim, sweeping headlights and three body-side creases. The car’s hood and cowl are lower than on the previous model; LS and LT trims feature active grille shutters.
4) Interior highlights include Chevrolet MyLink with a 7-in.-diagonal color capacitive touch screen that is standard on LS, LT, and Hybrid models. An 8-in. screen is available. The center stack features greater delineation between the infotainment system and climate system controls for easier operation, according to Chevrolet.
5) The interior also features a dedicated storage slot for mobile phones that incorporates wireless charging, if equipped. Perforated leather-appointed seating surfaces are available on the LT and Hybrid, and standard on Premier, with ventilated seats also standard on Premier.