5 Fast Facts: 2016 Chevrolet Corvette
The Chevrolet Corvette is a true original American sports machine that debuted in 1953. More than 60 years later, the seventh-generation, 2-seat, aluminum-body Corvette, last redesigned in 2014, offers a track-worthy V-8, rakish good looks, and a premium interior that appeals to racing and sports car enthusiasts alike.
Here are five fast facts about the 2016 Chevrolet Corvette:
1) Corvette’s exterior styling features international design cues with sharper lines, supercar air vents, and a sports car front grille. Stingray coupe or convertible and ZO6 performance variants are available, along with a Z06 limited C7.R Edition. Trims include 1LZ, 2LZ, and 3LZ, plus Z06 with extra performance features. Two paint colors are new for 2016: Corvette Racing Yellow and Long Beach Red Metallic.
2) The Corvette Stingray sprints from 0-60 mph in less than 4 seconds, according to Chevrolet. The standard 6.2-liter V-8 engine generates 455 horsepower and 460 lb.-ft. of torque while achieving an EPA-rated 29 mpg on the highway. More power is available with the Z06’s 6.2-liter supercharged V-8 that puts out 650 horsepower and can lick 0-60 mph in a claimed 3.2 seconds. Corvette variants come with a 7-speed manual transmission. A paddle-shift 8-speed automatic is optional.
3) For 2016, Chevrolet adds a flat-bottom steering wheel, front curb-view parking mirror, and cinch feature for the cargo area. Three new color-themed design packages are available. Smartphone pairing with Apple CarPlay is new. The wraparound cockpit inspired by fighter jets features premium seats—regular GT and competition Sport—in leather, carbon, and micro-suede upholstery with embellishments.
4) The Corvette Stingray convertible features a top that can be lowered remotely in 21 seconds using the key fob, Chevy says.
5) An optional Z51 performance package includes an electronic limited-slip differential; closer gear ratios for the manual shifter; special lubrication; additional cooling for the brakes, differential, and gearbox; plus special tiered tires and wheels.